Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm allergic to hay!

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
My grass allergy seems to be getting worse every year. Right now, it's so bad that I cant reach into the bag of hay to feed the pigs without getting hives on my hands. Even if I wash my hands directly after this, I still have a really bad reaction. Also, I sleep in the same room my guinea pigs are in, so that doesnt help my allergies either. Does anyone else have this allergy or have tips on how I can make this better? I cannot move them to another room and my allergies are making me miserable!

Allergies are more likely to develop if you keep the cage in your room, so that could be why it's getting worse. What type of hay do you use? Timothy is the worst for allergies and many people that are allergic to hay use orchard and it's a lot better for them.
Here's the CavySpirit link that has info about dealing with hay allergies: Allergies

You should see if you can't put the pigs somewhere else -- if you've got allergies, they'll only get worse with the cage in your room.

You can buy small bags of other kinds of hay, so get some blue grass and some orchard grass (those are the easiest to find) and see if you're allergic to them. Timothy seems to be the worst offender for people with allergies. If those work ok, you can buy them in larger amounts.

Yeah I am almost as bad as you are with the hay. I have heard that some hays aren't as bad for those with allergies. Also something that you might want to look into are allergy pills. Start with the OTC stuff (or see an allergy dr), Allegra worked best for me and it is the strongest OTC out there. It's great because the hay doesn't even bother me when I remember to take it haha. Also could have something to do with the area you live in. I lived in the high desert and it was very dusty and lots of plants so I had terrible allergies! I recently moved about 10mins from the beach and I don't even take pills anymore. Obviously you aren't going to move for just your allergies but it is something to keep in mind in the future i you do move.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.