Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting I'm adopting a guinea pig tomorrow but I'm not sure what to do in this situation..

Honour

Cavy Slave
There is a family near us that are moving house and they aren't allowed animals.. they have two little female guinea pigs, 2 months. They're sisters. They're abys and I was going to get one of them but then I was thinking about the other one.. I don't want it to be lonely or not get a home. I already have 1 guinea pig and the cage I have currently is temporary it's a store bought one and it's only big enough for 2.. not 3. What should I do? I don't want to leave one behind but I don't want to leave them completely either.. one is for my brother but it's staying in my cage, because he's jealous of mine (we've only had her for two days). But another issue is, he's scared of them and can't hold them and I told him to watch Audrey for a second while I got my coat from downstairs and he refused because he's scared and he's getting one of his own, I wouldn't mind looking after her and also Audrey needs a friend but the problem is that if he doesn't listen to me about holding her, etc which he is scared to do she could get hurt?

Sounds like guinea pigs may not be the right pet for your brother and he probably only wants one because you have one. Your parents should really think much harder about getting him a guinea pig. There is no way I'd give a pet to my children if they were scared of that type of animal. It's not fair to the child or animal.

I'm not sure what to do about the other situation. Do you have a second cage? If you don't have room for 3 I wouldn't risk it.

I only have one cage and enough room for one :( I really don't want to leave her behind.. but then again Audrey really needs a friend.

does the neighbor not have a cage till you could expand yours

My house has no room for another cage and there is no way it's going outside!
Hmm, really not sure.. have until 5pm tomorrow uk time to decide :(

if theyre moving why do they need the cage? see if theyll let u keep the cage and put the new ones in there cage for quarentine and make a c&c cage as soon as you can for all of them.

if theyre moving why do they need the cage? see if theyll let u keep the cage and put the new ones in there cage for quarentine and make a c&c cage as soon as you can for all of them.
i agree

If your family was ever planning on getting your brother a GP (I too agree that he shouldn't get a cavy) I'm assuming you would have room for another cage somewhere. You could also try upgrading to a C&C Cage. That would solve the problem of not having enough cage space for 3. I know you mentioned that you don't have enough room, but is there anything you can toss out or move somewhere else? It's never bad to donate :)

Edit: I was typing this as more comments were added :p

Last edited:
We were planning on putting them all in the same cage, to give audrey a friend. Yes, I'm making a c&c one very soon.. and we have tiny bedrooms and my brothers share a room and the cage takes up my whole floor space. our house is very small..

What about putting the cage on top of a dresser or on top of each other. It's only temporary after all. If you have room for a bigger C&C than you should be able to put two store bought cages somewhere.

What about putting the cage on top of a dresser or on top of each other. It's only temporary after all. If you have room for a bigger C&C than you should be able to put two store bought cages somewhere.
yup

I have room for a slightly bigger c&c cage, is what I meant xD.
Putting them on top of each other is a good idea! Would it be safe??

Not to burst any bubbles here... but 3 pigs need at least a 2x5 or a 3x4 sized C&C. That pet store cage is just shy of a 2.5x2 C&C. Are you sure you have room for 3 guinea pigs?

Not to burst any bubbles here... but 3 pigs need at least a 2x5 or a 3x4 sized C&C. That pet store cage is just shy of a 2.5x2 C&C. Are you sure you have room for 3 guinea pigs?
its temporary and the two she is apdopting are use to it and will have a better life once she gets her c c cage made.

its temporary and the two she is apdopting are use to it and will have a better life once she gets her c c cage made.

plus im sure she will get the others cage for quartine anyways by then she should have her c c cage built

Um...thanks boofp but I wasn't asking you the question. I was asking Honour who said that they had room for a slightly bigger C&C. How slightly bigger are we talking? It is something to consider when thinking about adopting multiple pigs.

I notice that you say your cage "is only big enough for 2"

1: Store bought cages are not big enough for 1 guinea pig, 2 guinea pigs, let alone 3 of them.

Not trying to spoil the moment.

And, 2: Don't take more than you can handle. Guinea Pigs aren't easy work, and with 3 guinea pigs in a very undersized cage, it will be terribly difficult because of the cage size. Don't get even 1 more if you can't provide them with a bigger cage soon.

Good luck!

The size I'm thinking means getting rid of a set of drawers I have, but Idc guinea pigs and their happiness mean more to me atm.
I'm thinking a few inches wider, and a few inches longer aswell, and with 3 storeys.. it is half of the size of my bedroom.. I'll be getting the new cage built in about 2 weeks, maybe less.. this cage is temporary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.