Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Ill Guinea Pig! Recent Drastic Weight Loss!

Inoacharm

Cavy Slave
I have had two guinea pigs since January.... Lucian and Charlemagne. They have been completely healthy up until recently for awhile we thought we were losing our house and they didn't get a great variety in fresh foods- but they seemed to be making it through. We are still struggling with losing our house currently. I noticed recently that Lucian- who is normally very much like his partner- runs away like crazy when ever you attempt to pick him up- has been rather immobile. He lets me scoop him up just fine. I noticed he was lighter and SMALLER than Charlemagne. They were both babies when I got them but Lucian has never seemed to put on much weight- NOW he is losing it! Today I noticied he had lost TONS of weight since last monday! You can feel almost ALL the bones in his body! I looked at his bottom and it is stained yellow- which was never common before- and it is kind of damp. ----------------- I've begged my Dad to take him in and he REFUSES because we literally don't have money. I don't have a job, and I have 5$ to my name. Does ANYONE know what could be causing this? I'm really worried for him- Should I seperate them? I only have one CC cage- but I do have a small aquariam I could put him in...or maybe I can clean the tub out and keep him in there? If anyone lives in the Las Vegas area and knows if anyone is willing to take him in for me I'd be very greatful. I'm also willing to give up Charlemagne- in the case this happens again and I don't have a job by then to deal with it. It's very unfortunate and I feel horribly for not predicting how the economy would effect my family sooner- I'd of never of got them, and then they might be in better care ... God I feel like the worse person in the world right now.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Sounds like it could be a urinary issue.

I wouldn't separate them unless the other pig is causing him to be upset or stressed and I definitely wouldn't put him in an aquarium.

Are there any rescues or shelters in your area you could call and ask if perhaps they could take your pigs in?

Inoacharm

Cavy Slave
I have no idea, I'll look in the yellow pages and see, I REALLY hope so...I'm going out of town for 2 weeks and my dad magically decided that he doesn't want to care for them while I'm gone. Idk why he is pissed at ME because one of them is ill! I ASKED him that if I didn't get a job if he could help cover my animals [I have a cat and my GP's] costs, and he promised he would... aghh. I'll go see if theres any rescues and report back in, if not if ANYONE knows someone in vegas that is willing to take both of them I'd be very greatful. NO matter what I need to get them both into a new home that can financially support them.

Scout.Layne

Cavy Slave
Have you tried searching on petfinder? They have a search you can do to find resuces and shelters near you. Even if they aren't normally a guinea pig rescue they might take them in since it's an emergancy.

Hope everything works out.

Gryffy&dewey

Cavy Slave
That's sad! I hope he gets better!