Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I'll Be Glad

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I'll be glad when this week is over.

First things first, I need new hay for my Guinea Pigs. Well, I want some KMS, but I'm not sure if that's gonna work out or not. Besides, it's gonna take a while for it to arrive AND I don't have enough hay to last me for then. SOOOOO I will probably give in and buy 1 more bag of hay from the store. No biggy.

Also, my piggies first checkup is this Thursday. Can't wait for that...... TO BE DONE.

__

I just am struggling a bit with worry. I just don't know about my Guinea Pigs..... I love them to DEATH and always will love and care for them. NO MATTER WHAT. But, I have been noticing that both piggies still seem distant from me after a month...... I just want them to be closer to me-- I.E NOT SCARED when I am by them. I want them to be tame (they pretty much are) and after I constantly see video after video, picture after picture of owners who are able to hold and scritchy scratch and hug their piggies...... I just don't feel right to myself. I feel bad. Am I not committing myself enough to my piggies? Am I doing something wrong?

Just some general help on overcoming these worries. Have people experienced said worries? When do they go away? Will everything come together?

Help me cope with these worries. Thanks!

If it helps I ordered from KMS on a Thurs. evening and recieved it on a Saturday afternoon. You are a bit further away but I dont see why it would be much more than a day or 2 longer to recieve it. I dont think you are doing anything wrong, they all have their own little personalities. Mine still run from me and its been 2 months and 1 of them still doesnt care to be cuddled with very long. Hang in there and maybe try a piece of carrot or something they really like while you are holding them. Food is the way to a piggies heart lol.

If it helps I ordered from KMS on a Thurs. evening and recieved it on a Saturday afternoon. You are a bit further away but I dont see why it would be much more than a day or 2 longer to recieve it. I dont think you are doing anything wrong, they all have their own little personalities. Mine still run from me and its been 2 months and 1 of them still doesnt care to be cuddled with very long. Hang in there and maybe try a piece of carrot or something they really like while you are holding them. Food is the way to a piggies heart lol.

That's just it...... no matter what I try, I can't get to hold them. I try picking them up which scares them too much, I try the elevator method and they don't go in........ Unghhh.....

It took 4 months for me to be able to hold Jumble for more than a couple of minutes. And during those couple of minutes she was always trying to get off my lap and would nip. She's calmed down quite a bit but still isn't a lap pig. Mostly she knows that she'll get a bit of parsley or cilantro on my lap and that makes it better. She is very difficult to catch -- she corners really well! I try to catch her and the other pigs like a crayfish: I put one hand behind her bum, and keep it still, and move my other hand toward her from the front (slowly). She backs up into my hand and 50% of the time I can catch her. Otherwise it's me getting her in a corner, a soda box, or one of her fleece tunnels.

The others are happier while on my lap but Triton and Oink are hard to catch, too, and they'll cry if I take one out without the other. Not for long, but they don't like the initial moment of being separated.

I think you're being too hard on yourself as far as trying to bond with your piggies. They'll come around after awhile, but I don't think you should expect them to be like a dog or even a cat. Oink and Triton definitely like each other better than they do us humans. I think if your pigs are happy enough to be playing with each other and popcorning with each other then it means that you are being a very good piggy parent!

Most pigs will not let you hug and scritch them while they are in their cages. Most pigs do not particularly want to be held. Your pigs are completely normal.

The more you hold them, and the older they get, the more they will calm down. It can take weeks, months, years for this to happen, depending on the pig. Our Timmy is still a scaredy pig and we've had him since he was born in 2006.

We have some that just don't like to be picked up or handled at all, one squeals so loud you'd think we were killing her just for reaching into her cage. I have noticed though, the more you hand feed them (whether it be from on your lap or side of the cage) the more they trust you. We only have two that will stand still to be touched in their enclosures... and even then it's not an every day thing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.