Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Ignoring a Cagemate

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
Since I have been working at home a lot recently, I have had more time to observe the pigs during the day when they are most active. I have also had issues with my Toffee being too much of a bully and needing some "alone time" before my elderly girl, Roxie, came to harm. Now with the bigger cage, we are trying putting everyone back together. The dominance dance is back on, like expected, but Gabby's reaction is quite puzzling. I have never seen it in a pig before. I have never fully understood my cage's hierarchy, so maybe that muddies the waters a bit. Roxie is certainly not in charge, but at the same time she will not let one of the others push her out of a hidey she's relaxing in. Both Toffee and Gabby have strong personalities and there never was any clear indication as to which of the two was the dominant pig.

Toffee rumbles at Roxie, Roxie rumbles back. Toffee and Roxie have the little "I can raise my nose higher than you" contests. In a nutshell, they are trying to work things out. Gabby and Roxie have no problems beyond Gabby never wanting to share a hidey with Roxie, so she occasionally snaps at Roxie if Roxie tries to butt into her hidey.

On the other hand, Gabby completely ignores Toffee. Not kidding. Toffee rumbles loudly and struts around Gabby, but Gabby will keep doing whatever it is she's doing. Toffee will stand in front of Gabby and raise her nose. Gabby will stare at her for a moment, then leave, like she is saying "I don't have time for this garbage." I have seen submissive pigs back down before and she is not acting like she is deferring at all and yet she is not challenging, either. I'm just curious of anyone has had pigs who act like this and why they would do so. Is she just secure in her place in the hierarchy and she is not going to let Toffee rattle her, or does she simply not care about the whole dominance dance this time around?

Gabby sounds like a pig who's got her act together and is ignoring any rude sows who happen to be in the vicinity!

I am inclined to think Gabby is top pig and doesn't feel the need to prove it. I had a duck drake like that, while the other drakes would scrap for domanance he would sit back and watch unless actualy attacked and he would waddle through the flock like the parting of the red sea.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.