Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General If younger cavys poop less, mine must be 1000 years old.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I had read somewhere that younger cavys poop less frequently. Mine poops about 6-8 times a day and urinates ~3 times a day. (that I have counted) I have been cleaning up after each elimination. Is this normal?

She eats timothy, greens (not romaine but darker the better), carrot every other day, apple, and celery bits. She seems to eat mostly the greens and eats only some timothy. I have only had her 5 days but man, there is a lot to clean up! lol

Guinea pigs constantly poop. It's not unusual for there to be a lot of droppings shortly after you clean up. You'll probably notice the most after they eat or as they're eating.

Oh yes, as you will learn, they are little pooping machines. She'll probably poo more when she gets older, if you can believe it! My aunt watched over my girls when I went on a trip last week, and she was shocked at just how much poo they create! How much greens do you feed her? How old is she? If she's under six months you can feed her alfalfa.

I started out with a very young piggy (Mufasa), and after he died prematurely, I got two adult piggies. Only difference between his poops and theirs was that his were much smaller. Otherwise, they all seem to have equal cage soiling abilities.

Guinea pigs are poop machine. Since they need unlimited hay, they will always be pooping. Pigs who don't poop are sick. Be glad that she's pooping a lot.

Mine are pooping machines I can tell you that every since I had them, when I first got them not long after they had been weaned last year I was a little shocked at how much they pooped being mainly a dog and cat owner...lol

Mine never stop pooping :) Its a good thing, it means they are healthy :)

Actually, if you have a garden, flower beds, or even potted house plants, you can put a layer of poop on the soil of the plants. It makes great fertilizer. Of course, after a couple of days, you'll be fertilizing your neighbors plants, too...and family....and friends....LOL

I don't know if anyone has said this, but how much veggies are you feeding her? Guinea pigs only need about a cup of veggies. If she has more than that, then she will eat less hay, which isn't good at all.

the Humane Society said she is 1 year and 1 month old. she is pretty big, so I would guess she is not a baby.As to how much greens...hmm. Probably around a cup. I will have to Pay more attention. She has out of cage time and I put hay stations around so she goes there and chows down.
Oh yes, as you will learn, they are little pooping machines. She'll probably poo more when she gets older, if you can believe it! My aunt watched over my girls when I went on a trip last week, and she was shocked at just how much poo they create! How much greens do you feed her? How old is she? If she's under six months you can feed her alfalfa.

Yes! I had only had dogs and cats before this too! (a fish and hamster when i was really small) 2-3 poops and you're done. Now I could go on full-time pooper scooper duty! lol

Mine are pooping machines I can tell you that every since I had them, when I first got them not long after they had been weaned last year I was a little shocked at how much they pooped being mainly a dog and cat owner...lol

I can be the city fertilizer provider! hahaha
Actually, if you have a garden, flower beds, or even potted house plants, you can put a layer of poop on the soil of the plants. It makes great fertilizer. Of course, after a couple of days, you'll be fertilizing your neighbors plants, too...and family....and friends....LOL

I was concerned about that. No hay = no poop = very sick piggy. Now that I have the cup measuerment to go by I will pay more attention. Seemed like ok amounts and maybe she is eating the hay at night. Seems like it gets mixed up in her bedding and I don't notice exactly how much.
Tomorrow, hubby is helping me perfect the pen and we are adding a hay holder so I can tell better. Thanks!
I don't know if anyone has said this, but how much veggies are you feeding her? Guinea pigs only need about a cup of veggies. If she has more than that, then she will eat less hay, which isn't good at all.

LOL I haven't had my piggies very long only about a month they have pellets, endless timothy hay and 2 baby carrots and 1 celery stock a day and also red and yellow pepper every few days these girls poo constantly as well! We let them run around on our bed on a blanket just for them so i can take it outside and shake the poo out and wash it every other day also! Never thought of using the poo in plants i may try that, we also keep a shop vac handy to suck poo up cause if they are out poo is all over!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.