Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay If you have never tried KMS hay, you should!

anydue

Cavy Slave
I have been feeding my piggies the Kleenmamma's hay for about a week now, thanks to all of your suggestions here. It is amazing how much better it is than even Oxbow! There is no dust, and it is so fresh, not yellow or straw-like. I really thought I was going to always have trouble with my asthma when I fed my piggies their hay, but I don't have any problems with Kleenmamma's! I bought the Timothy and Bluegrass. I think the boys like the Bluegrass better. Anyway, I just thought I would let people know how far superior the KMS hay is to any other I have tried.

I agree. It has been the best I've used so far.
Sweet Meadow was also good but my boys are eating the hay out of their kleenmama.

Can you get the hay in say, Petsmart, or do you have to order it from somewhere?
I've been considering the KM pellets too, because my piggies are on garbage disguised as a good thing (ecotrition pellets- they're a mix, alfalfa with a bunch of corn and wheat, etc. I bought a large bag before I really knew anything about nutrition)

(broken link removed)

Above is where you have to order the Kleenmama's hay. It is COMPLETELY worth it though! I can't tell you what a difference there is between their hay and the ones you buy in the petstore. There is virtually no dust, green and less allergens for sure! Just don't make the mistake I did. I ordered WAY too much! Depending on how many pigs you have, I would order the 9 lbs because I wanted to try the different kinds that she has and ordered 25 lbs of 3 different types! I think the Bluegrass is my favorite, but the 2nd and 3rd cut Timothy is great as well. My piggies really like the Bluegrass!

PLUS, you aren't supporting the petstores!

I buy from Kleenmama's regularly,:) and I always get 2ncd or 3rd cut timothy( 3rd cut timothy is a little bit dusty though, fyi) and the bluegrass too. I LOVE the bluegrass the most ! I LOVE the sweet sweet smell of it and how very soft it is. Her pellets are far superior to any other brand too.

Cocoa, you can get hay in Petsmart, but a pet store is absolutely the most expensive way to buy it. You can get it much cheaper by order in bulk online, or by finding a local supplier of grass hay. If there are horse stables around you, ask where they get their timothy hay.

The best online source is Kleenmama, but if you're a long way from her (she's in Washington state), you may find cheaper hay at (broken link removed) or (broken link removed). You can also get some pet stores to order bulk supplies of Oxbow for you.

Too bad they don't ship to Australia. Their website said they're not even shipping to Canada these days either.

Mine was shipped out today!! I cant wait until it gets here.

Stacy97006, Enjoy!

Wish I could, but they only ship around US. The current hay I use is okay, but the length of it is kind of pissing me off, it's too short so the hay rack seems useless :(

That must be frustrating, pandaloki! Not to rub it in, but the bluegrass hay is super long! My piggies seem like they are pulling on it forever to get it out of the hay rack. They really enjoy it. Maybe KMS will start shipping overseas someday! :)

Thanks! How much would you order for 2 pigs (female) and how long does it last? I'm currently buying the Kaytee hay (garbage, I know) in small bags so I don't really know...

Oh and how do you store it so it lasts?

Forty-five pounds lasts my two pigs 4-6 months. I keep mine in the garage. When it comes, I take it out of the box and take the plastic wrapper off, put it back in the box and punch a bunch of holes in the box for air circulation.

I was wandering around the web the other day and found this link:
(broken link removed)It seems like you can store hay for a while, and there should be no ill effects from it. I haven't yet gotten my piggies, but I'm definitely going to buy a bulk amount and store it. And this has been extremely helpful, I think that when I finally get my piggies I'll use KMS from the start.

Thank you! I hope I can convince my dad to order them hay from here despite the cost!

Cocoa, hay ordered in bulk is much cheaper per pound than anything you can buy in a pet store.

My girls get KMs hay too! They especially love 3rd cut Timothy. I also feed the bluegrass for variety.

Wish I could, but they only ship around US. The current hay I use is okay, but the length of it is kind of pissing me off, it's too short so the hay rack seems useless :(
(broken link removed)ops posted to same person twice

Last edited:

Sweet Meadow might be an option for you.

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.