Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

If You Are Cured Of Mites Can You Get Them Again

pennick

Cavy Slave
I had my piggies treated for lice when I got them back in October. I already posted that one of my piggies has thick white dandruff in one small area where her spikey hair is parted. I am taking them back to another vet this Friday. Here is my question?

If a piggy is treated for lice and the treatment is effective wouldn't you assume that your piggy could never get it again if their home life doesnt change?

If the answer is yes which would make sense to me..... can I then assume that the first treatment they had was not done effectively and therefore they still harbored these critters?

If the answer was no.....that would mean that they can never be cured of lice if it can stay dormant and come out again when they are stressed.

For one thing, lice won't stay dormant as you're suggesting, and they only come from other carriers. Of course they can get mites again, just like we can get a cold or the flu again even if we've had it once. Likewise, it is a possibility that the treatment was not fully effective, or they could have simply acquired them from a different source--again. Also, did you thoroughly clean everything in and around the cage during treatment, and did you treat all cavies in that area? That's also a factor.

Also, it is not simply stress, and then out pops the mites! Stress just weakens their immune system, which can make them more prone to illness, but does not make mites in and of itself. I hope this was a bit helpful. :)

True. Lice once killed are dead but any eggs left behind can hatch and then they would need treated again. Mites can be gotten repeatedly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.