Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'd like opinions please

momof2pigs

Cavy Slave
As you know, I work for Petco (but I've been looking for new employement). Recently, at our store, our animal sales have been WAY down in all departments. Corporate made the decision to "test" our store and a "few" others company wide by downsizing the small animal department by 25%, reptiles by 50%, birds by 90%, and fish by about 75%. Our bird room is completely empty and shut down. We still have the parakeet hex flight.

I consider this to be TINY victory even if temporary. Corporate explained our "shrink" has been too high and sales too low. This "test" is to be conducted through Feb and then our sales will be evaluated for the next step.

We will (temporarily) no longer carry rabbits, male gerbils, male dwarf hamsters, female mice, female rats, large rats (both sexes). The BAD news is that we were only supposed to carry male Guinea Pigs but some team leads put pressure on our RCAC, and he is "letting" us still sell both sexes. We also weren't going to carry chinchillas but team leads protested and now we still are :sad: . We still will sell both sexes of Syrian hamsters.

However, I am not sure what this will mean for OUR store or Petco in general. Is this a trend? or just a short-term fix for a few "struggling" stores??

I was ELATED to hear of the removal of many of our animals/reptiles/fish and ALL birds (except the 'keets) but I am not hopeful Petco will grow a conscience and stop selling animals all together. I am PRAYING that our Guinea Pig sales plummet and they stop carrying them altogether.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
That's awesome! I think we should start working harder at trying to get people to boycott Petco so we can improve the money loss even more, maybe get some stores shut down. :)

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
That is wonderful!
I agree LandHermie, imagine if all of us put out informational flyer's about why pet stores should be boycotted, the difference that it would make.
I am actually greatly considering this.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
Great idea about the flyers; let me know if you come up with one that I could download for printing, or maybe I will make one myself. I could get people to help me leaflet outside Pets At Home.

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
Yay! You just made my day with that post! There is hope!!

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
I put a flyer in the girl's bathroom at school from guinea lynx about Petco's race.

luvmyzoocrew

Cavy Slave
woo hoo that is great news. I participate in a protest at an area Pets Plus, and know that there sales are doing really bad, and hopefully they will be closing. Hopefully there sales will plumet for the piggies so that they will not sell them anymore.

momof2pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm hoping the tide is turning (even at the risk of losing a job) in favor of the animals. The pet market (IMO) has reached saturation point. In the city that I work in there are FIVE major pet stores all selling the same animals. I think with the economy slowing down, the public is re-evaluating whether or not they can "add another mouth to feed" to their existing pet population OR their lives are too busy to accomodate any animals. Also, shelter and rescues are gaining in visability so people can choose to get an animal for far less money than what that animal would cost at a pet store. Whatever the reasons, I am glad for it. It means several hundred less animals bred for profit.

luvmyzoocrew

Cavy Slave
unfortunately the shelter population is going to continue to keep growing,because as the rate of people loosing there houses due to the housing bubble , or whatever you want to call it, bursting there are going to be more and more animals in shelters.

momof2pigs

Cavy Slave
Yes, but that could be a blessing in disguise. More pets in shelters mean more pets to adopt and less people will feel the need to go to a pet-store to buy a small animal. That's good because the pet stores won't do well. Right?? Our local big city shelter has birds, dwarf hamsters (3 week old babies!), rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, cats, and dogs. People won't go to a pet store to buy a dwarf hamster for $15 when they can get a baby at the shelter for $3.

Maybe after an initial influx of animals into shelters from the "housing burst", things will level off. IDK, I'm not an analyst for this kind of thing.

luvmyzoocrew

Cavy Slave
oh no i think that the influx of animals will be devestating, shelters are only equipped to deal with so many and anything above that , that cant be put out into rescues, will be euthanised. But nonetheless i think it is great that the sales at Petco have been down, now hopefully they will keep going down.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
The dreaded shrink is actually helping someone out! All right!

CavyGrandma

Cavy Slave
More pets in shelters mean more pets to adopt and less people will feel the need to go to a pet-store to buy a small animal.

This is not necessarily true. Until I found this site it never occurred to me to look for a shelter to adopt a small pet. I purposely went to a pet store to get my (daughter's) first piggie. Of course, now that I know better I wouldn't. But until we get the word out about small animals being available in shelters, the demand for breeder animals will still exist.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
But until we get the word out about small animals being available in shelters, the demand for breeder animals will still exist.

To an extent, I think you're correct - people must be educated that all species of animals are available at animal shelters and rescues. However, I think another important point is the removal of animals for sale in pet stores. Without the convenience of an easy or impulse buy, people will have to put a bit more effort into obtaining a pet, and hopefully their research will lead them towards rescues and not towards breeders. A 2 pronged approach is the best way, in my opinion.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
But until we get the word out about small animals being available in shelters, the demand for breeder animals will still exist.

Then let's start to work harder to get the word out :) .

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
I can go on my GIMP and make a flyer very easily.
But I would want some help with the wording.
I can post the link for others to load when I am done but does anyone want to help me word the 'message' right?

momof2pigs

Cavy Slave
More encouraging news...

Rumor has it that our store (at least) may be tearing down and taking away (permenantly) most of our fish tanks. Also, our bird room is being CONSIDERED to be a room to house adoption animals. Most likely we won't carry all the reptiles we once did.

*Rome wasn't destroyed in a day either* but eventually it DID fall. So, little by little Petco might become "animal-less" (or adoption only).

luvmyzoocrew

Cavy Slave
More encouraging news...

*Rome wasn't destroyed in a day either* but eventually it DID fall. So, little by little Petco might become "animal-less" (or adoption only).

That would be great, lets keep our fingers crossed.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
That is so awesome! :) I hope it happens. We must keep this up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.