Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Ice cubes

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My four ladies have been put in the large "summer cage" in the basement as we have no AC in the main house. It is clean and bright down there and a decent 70 degrees with a dehumidifier running to keep away the humidity(so I am down there a lot, too !!). For fun, I gave them a small dish of water (1/2"deep) with an ice cube in it. They love it. They take turns playing with the ice cube and nibbling at it. Is this dangerous? For instance, as it melts, could they get cut on the sharp edges? I know I will have to change this dish often, but I love the fact that they are interested and drinking more water. Does anyone else use a water dish instead of or in addition to a water bottle?

hojun

Cavy Slave
I'd say it wouldn't be dangerous unless the guinea pig's tongue sticks to the ice.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd be concerned that the ice cubes could pose a choking hazard. I got an ice cube stuck in my throat when I was a kid and was lucky to cough it up. My throat was really sore for awhile after that.

hojun

Cavy Slave
I think it would be smarter to just take the bowl and freeze the entire bowl of water. That way, guinea pigs can't really bite into the ice and can only lick it.

laylahzoemom

Cavy Slave
I give my piggies ice cubes and have never had a problem. They lick them, but will lose interest after awhile and I just take it out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.