Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I would like to introduce Abigail!!

Sarah84

Cavy Slave
Ok, so after the last attempt at a Craigslist adoption, I was quite hesitant to do it again, but thanks to JenKY I'm ecstatic :D to say I will be picking up Abigail TODAY!!! I'm soooo soooo excited!!! She's just a baby still (not sure of exact age, or breed) I do however have a question. My 2 girls have been vet checked (about 2 weeks ago) with a clean stool sample, and Abigail has also been vet checked with a clean stool sample as well (yesterday) so would I still need to do 3 weeks of quarantine? Or could I just give her a few days to adjust and then start with introductions.

Thanks for the help! Here are some pigtures!:love:

Cogni

Cavy Slave
What a gorgeous little fluff-muff!! a real sweetie!

Katrinah

Cavy Slave
She is a cutie!

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Oh what a cutie pie! she's adorable! and what a sweet name! Sorry, I know nothing about quarantine, I just had to rave about your gorgeous new piglet!

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Oh, she is so beautiful! Have fun! I hope she gets along with your other piggie! You still need to do quarentine, It is not just for new pigs, But for current pigs too. And there could be an underlying illness that wont show yet.

Sarah84

Cavy Slave
Thanks you all! I'm so excited!!!! I have been very down since I had such a problem with the other pig, and I was very hesitant to even try to contact this lady, but she called me in less than 20 minutes, and we talked for almost 45 minutes! She asked questions, and I asked questions.. it was great! I will be sure to do quarantine with her. They only one I'm really worried about as far as getting along is Shmor, she's a very dominant pig, she rubble struts and bullies Lola around quite a bit. But I'm hoping that since Abigail is still a baby that they will be ok. Will I need to baby proof my c & c? I have 6 inch sides. I have extra coroplast, so it won't be a big deal if I need to.

Katie_Kutthroat

Cavy Slave
She's the cutest thing ever! I guess it would have to depend on how old she is and how big.

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
Congrats! She is gorgeous!

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
She's beautiful! Definitely still do the full 3 week quarantine (differnet room, doors closed). If she comes with her pet store cage, you can use that for quarantine before moving her into the C&C with your other girls. When you get her home, you'll know if you need to babyproof, depending on how big she turns out to be. Congrats!

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
Congrats! She is just adorable!

Best of luck with introductions in 3 weeks, hope they all get along.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Sugar&Ellie

Cavy Slave
Aww she looks like my one of my friends' guinea pigs named Pecan! But she only has a little orange on her nose and Pecan has a full orange nose like someone stamped orange on his nose with their thumb lol

She's very cute though!
I think quarantine is done when the piggy has been living with other pigs and has been socializing with other pigs (even if she wasn't in the same cage). Pigs are good at hiding illness, remember, so even if you did get a clean bill of health from your doctor that doesn't mean she is fully healthy (I'm not saying she's not healthy, it's just a precaution).
I think you can maybe cut it down to 1.5 weeks instead of a full week. This way she can get used to the environment, get used to smells and sounds and calm down before being THROWN into a new cage with new friends who may be intimidating. Do some introductions and then in a week and a half full introduce her into the cage.

She's still young so she might be a little nervous in her new environment.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Quarentine is not just for pigs who have been around other pigs, But just any pig, Does not matter if she has never seen or heard a piggy in her life. She could still be sick. You still need to do a full quarentine, Not a half one.

Sarah84

Cavy Slave
Thanks you all! Abigail is home, and is doing well. She is in a pet store cage, but I cut things down to just hay, pellet bowl, water bottle and a pigloo. She had all kinds of toys and other stuff in the cage, she really had no room. She's the cutiest fluff ball I've ever seen. She is in our guest room which is the complete opposite end of the house from Shmor and Lola's cage. She's never had veggies, but she was giving her Vitamin C through a syringe. It's from a vets office. Any thoughts on that? I would like to introduce her to veggies, could I start that tonight? What should I start with pepper? lettuce? I think thats what I started Shmor and Lola on, but they are adult pigs. Abigail is 3 months old.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
I would start with lettuce and green pepper. Small amounts until she's used to it and eating those well. Then add cilantro. When she's eating those three things well in decent amounts, start adding in others. Make "treat" type veggies (carrots, etc) last. Get her solid on the staples first.

JenKY

Cavy Slave
Oh Sarah I am so glad you got her!! When I saw her pics I thought she was just the cutest, and I thought of you. Yes like others have said, I would still do the full quarantine to be safe. Which vet do you use? I'm thinking about changing.

Eta: I have the vitamin c drops for Samantha as well. My vet was giving them to her. After failed attempts at getting her to eat pepper, I give them to her with no problems. She refuses to eat the veggies she needs the most! Little stinker.

Last edited:

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I have the vitamin c drops for Samantha as well. My vet was giving them to her. After failed attempts at getting her to eat pepper, I give them to her with no problems. She refuses to eat the veggies she needs the most! Little stinker.

What do you mean by vitamin drops? Like what kind :)?

JenKY

Cavy Slave
The liquid vitamin c that is given using a syringe. (Given to me by the vet also) I believe this is the same thing Sarah was referring to. Not the treats! I tried the Daily-c tablets made by oxbow, but she spit that out.

Sarah84

Cavy Slave
Oh Sarah I am so glad you got her!! When I saw her pics I thought she was just the cutest, and I thought of you. Yes like others have said, I would still do the full quarantine to be safe. Which vet do you use? I'm thinking about changing.

Eta: I have the vitamin c drops for Samantha as well. My vet was giving them to her. After failed attempts at getting her to eat pepper, I give them to her with no problems. She refuses to eat the veggies she needs the most! Little stinker.

Thanks Jen! I have YOU to thank for Abigail coming into our life at this moment!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! From the bottom of my heart thank you! I was really upset of the little pig I couldn't save, and when I got your email I immediately said "no, I'm not going through that again" but yesterday something told me to give it a try, just email once with your name and phone number.

The lady that I got Abigail from used Jefferson Animal Hospital East. I personally use Elizabethtown Animal Hospital for my piggies. I actually go to church with my pigs doctor! LOL

1frankie7 these are vitamin C drops from a vets office all the label says is "vitamin C give 0.4 cc per day" She told me the reason she was giving them is because she doesn't like her pellet, but she never tried giving her veggies, so if I can get her to eat the veggies I'm not going to worry about the vitamin c drops.

JenKY

Cavy Slave
Thanks Jen! I have YOU to thank for Abigail coming into our life at this moment!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! From the bottom of my heart thank you! I was really upset of the little pig I couldn't save, and when I got your email I immediately said "no, I'm not going through that again" but yesterday something told me to give it a try, just email once with your name and phone number.

The lady that I got Abigail from used Jefferson Animal Hospital East. I personally use Elizabethtown Animal Hospital for my piggies. I actually go to church with my pigs doctor! LOL
Sarah you don't have to thank me! But you're welcome! I knew you were "in the market" for expanding your herd, and I wanted to help. I'm just happy I could help. :)

JAHE is where Samantha was! Small world. I will probly stick with them for now.
Oops...messed up the quote somehow. Sorry!

Last edited: