Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shelters i will be volunteering at an animal shelter. anybody else done this?

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
so starting monday i will be volunteering at an animal shelter for and hour and thirty minutes after school. the reason is for student council, but i've always wanted to volunteer. has anybody else ever volunteered? how was it?

I volunteer at a rabbit rescue once or twice a month for half a day. I really like. Lots of cleaning. So wear clothing that can be stained and dirtied. Also wear tennis shoes, old ones preferably since they are bound to get dirty too. Don't plan on going anywhere after either because you will probably want or need a shower. lol

well thats not good. ill have to change on the way to the shelter since im going right after school, and i dont wear stainable clothes to school, haha

This is kind of different but I briefly volunteered in the emergency room of an animal hospital last year. I didn't last very long because it was very disturbing for me to see the cases where animals had to be put to sleep, and also many of the ones that came in were severely injured, so let's just say that there was a lot of blood. I really commend the veterinarians and the other people who volunteer there, but I just didn't have the stomach to handle it.

I volunteer at our county animal shelter. I work mostly with the cats but occasionally with the dogs. The volunteer shifts are 3 hours each and occasionally, if there are still cats I haven't taken out to exercise, I will work both shifts.

I take each cat out, play with the toys with them, cuddle with them, pet them, brush them. I check their litter box and change it if necessary. I check to make sure they have a blanket in their cage. If they don't, I get one for them.

In working with them, I learn their personalties - some aren't interested in being held or sitting on laps but would rather chase the toys or sit on the window sill. Others would rather do nothing BUT sit on my lap and be petted and aren't at all interested in whatever toys I offer.

As people come in looking to adopt, I ask questions to get an idea of what kind of cat they are looking for - what age, gender, etc. Are they looking for a playful one or a lap cat? Do they have cats at home and need a cat that gets along with other cats? And from the questions, I can try to match them with what cats I know suit what they are looking for.

I find is extremely cathartic. I love playing with the cats and find it very rewarding when they end up adopting a cat I suggested.

i wish i would be doing cats but i think im doing mostly dogs. cats are so much cleaner. they told me id be cleaning cages, walking some dogs, and probably unloading dog food. i dont even know if this shelter has cats.

You will be doing a GREAT thing! My son and I will go to our local shelter and play with the older cats (everyone wants a kitten) and walk the pitbulls (lots of people just walk right passed them). It has taught him to see what happens to unwanted animals and to appreciate the ones he has and I love knowing that I might have made at least one furry friends day a little brighter! I also find that if there is someone in the room playing with a particular animal then potential adopters will stop and consider it. I once talked a couple with a youngish child into adopting a 3 year old cat instead of a kitten!

should i be worried about jeans getting stained or will all that wash out?

Its likely your jeans will get dirty, especially if you are bringing the dogs outside. I would just wear old pairs of jeans or ones that you dont mind getting dirty. And remember to use hand sanitizer to prevent spreading germs between dogs.

i know theyll get dirty but would they stain if i go right after and throw them in the washer?

They might, it depends on what you get on them. Just bring a change of clothing and change before you leave school or once you get to the shelter. I'm sure other people do.

ok thanks! im really looking forward to tomorrow.

It will be rewarding work for sure. =D

well i went today and it was pretty cool. all i did today was give the bigger dogs treats, wash the bowls, and clean the poop or pee i saw, which i never had to get near to bc they have a hose you just spray to the back where there's a drain type thing.

I'm going to start volunteering at the Humane Society soon, and even might get the chance to go to some of the anti-mill (as in puppy or GP mills) meetings! I also had the chance to meet the Nevada State Director for the Humane Society in person too! I'm so excited!!!

2nd day and there actually hasnt been much to do. which sucks bc i actually want to do a lot. i think ill ask if i can walk some of the dogs tomorrow if its not raining.

for my 16th birthday i wanna volunteer <3

This is kind of different but I briefly volunteered in the emergency room of an animal hospital last year. I didn't last very long because it was very disturbing for me to see the cases where animals had to be put to sleep, and also many of the ones that came in were severely injured, so let's just say that there was a lot of blood. I really commend the veterinarians and the other people who volunteer there, but I just didn't have the stomach to handle it.

That's actually such a great idea, I never thought of volunteering at an animal hospital! Did you have to be over 18 to do it, or did your hospital allow mature and responsible minors to help out as well? I had hoped to volunteer at the local shelter but they were turning away all volunteers until the summertime, so this is actually a great alternative if my local hospital will accept minors!

i have and it's pretty fun! :)
You get to help all the little animals, play with them, and much more.
Hope you like it as much as I did!!

@louie_joey I was already over 18 and the issue never came up so I don't know if it was an actual requirement, but it is something definitely worth asking your local animal hospital about. One thing to consider is that the experience you might have at the animal hospital might be very different from the experience you might have at an animal shelter. In my case, we were not allowed to even touch the animals due to liability issues. My duties included mopping up blood off of the floor and bringing dead bodies to the freezer, which is why I only lasted for such a short time. While it would have been an incredible learning experience, it definitely was not anything even close to cuddles, playtime, or fun. You should still inquire at your local hospital, but these are just things to keep in mind!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.