Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting I want that piggy!

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Ok so I found a lady on craigslist looking to rehome a guinea pig that she is fostering.

(broken link removed)

She is about 6 months old and currently lives in a C&C cage!

So I e-mailed the lady saying that I was interested in adopting her but wasn't 100% sure if I'd be able to because my dad isn't 100% on board. If my dad says yes, of course I plan to adopt a buddy for her, but until we get there, what must I do to get my dad to say yes??

My room is ALWAYS clean, I do all of my chores, and my conference was last week and my homeroom teacher loves me!! I have a 4.0 GPA and my dad KNOWS how much research I've done on caring for a guinea pig...what do I do now?? Thanks for the help :)

So talk to your dad and tell him how having 2 pigs compared to one will not change things much or will it?:
-2x the veggies, hay, food and how much that will be-how will it be pd for?
-is your cage big enough or does it need to be changed?
-daily cleaning will increase a little if using fleece
-may have to clean more than 1x per week if using bedding

Be prepared with all the facts and then present your case to him.

I'm in the same exact situation as you. I've been searching CraigsList, Piggie care, and all of the sort. If you find a solution, be sure to pass it onto me also. :p

So talk to your dad and tell him how having 2 pigs compared to one will not change things much or will it?:
-2x the veggies, hay, food and how much that will be-how will it be pd for?
-is your cage big enough or does it need to be changed?
-daily cleaning will increase a little if using fleece
-may have to clean more than 1x per week if using bedding

Be prepared with all the facts and then present your case to him.

But my problem right now is not even being able to get 1!

One thing to think about is what will you do when you go to college? Some require you to live on campus the first year (most in VA do - which is why I couldn't get a guinea pig or a hamster when I was in high school!). But if you go to a community college for a year then transfer, you would be fine :).

One thing to think about is what will you do when you go to college? Some require you to live on campus the first year (most in VA do - which is why I couldn't get a guinea pig or a hamster when I was in high school!). But if you go to a community college for a year then transfer, you would be fine :).

I was planning to go to community college for 2 years :)

Oops. for some reason I thought you had 1 and wanted a second one.

You should still make your case with costs and who will pay and maybe come up with consequences if you don't clean the cage such as loss of allowance for a week? Anything you can think of to convince him that you are serious about this will help your case.

Well I'm creating a presentation that I'll be showing my dad about guinea pigs and why I should be allowed to get one and so on...any advice or things that I must include? Thanks help is very much appreciated

I also found another one I like. She is a tricolor named Smores:)

I was planning to go to community college for 2 years :)

Okay great! Then you're set :).

That's awesome you're creating a presentation haha, maybe add how it will teach you responsibility (since parents seem to think pets do that? I don't necessarily agree, but might as well use that to your advantage right?). And what RubyRain said. Like no cell phone or something for a week?

What are their arguments for why you shouldn't get one?

What are their arguments for why you shouldn't get one?

Actually I've asked him that and he won't tell me! He always comes up w/ an excuse not to tell me yet like i'm too tired right now or i have a headache...

Actually I've asked him that and he won't tell me! He always comes up w/ an excuse not to tell me yet like i'm too tired right now or i have a headache...

That's no help! Good news: he probably doesn't have any ;). Or if so its probably like two teeny reasons.

I know my parents would say no - so I brought back a hamster - "SURPRISE! Isn't he cuuuute?!". And a guinea pig - "What is that? It better not be a guinea pig!". "It's not, it's a chinchilla!". "It better not be a chinchilla!". "Nah I'm kidding, it's a guinea pig! But isn't she cuuuute?!".

EDIT: I did not hit send!!

Anyway, sometimes they don't really have particular reasons. Also - no "SURPRISE!" ing your parents by the way - I'm an adult and can pay my pets' way, so I'm allowed =). I just skip the whole "You do not need another pet, Laura!" discussions. After two guinea pigs and a hamster in my apartment, I guess I'll be okay. . Only because my roommate is allergic to cats. .

Do you have any other pets? I think the main argument in my family is "who is going to watch them when you go on vacation," so if you have a friend or family member who is willing to, then that's in your favor of the argument :)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.