Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

i want another pig

CaliGirl

Cavy Slave
I have changed so many things since I got my guinea pig last year. I use to have him in a petstore cage, now I have him in a 3x2 C&C cage with a second 1x2 story. I have switch the bedding from carefresh to fleece to carefresh and now I have finally setteled on kiln-dried pine. All my changes have been at an attempt to make my guine pig as happy as possible. And now the final change I have decided on is to adopts another guinea pig to live with Rocky. But now I find myself in a delema. My guinea pig is a male. Im afraid that if adopt another male they wont get along, I dont have room for 2 guinea pig cages. Im afraid to get Rocky nutered because I cant find a decent vet where I live (plus my parents would think its pointless to neuter an animal so small). Im not sure what I should do. I dont want Rocky to be alone, but I dont want to me stuck with 2 unhappy guinea pigs. Is there a greater chance that rocky will not get along with another male? Is it harder to pair them together? Or should I just give up and leave Rocky to live alone? Please help me.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If Rocky is an older boar, adopt a young boar for his roomie. If Rocky is a young boar, adopt an older boar. It's not true that males will always fight. There are many rescues who will let you bring Rocky in and let you see if he will get along with whatever boars you like. It's important for him to have a friend. I say go for getting him a buddy. You can always look for spayed sows too. He would love having a wife.

Rosina

Cavy Slave
mmm... I think you can find another piggy to live with Rocky. The best would be find another male piggy who is quite a bit younger, they would tend to bound better together. If they don't get along that well, then you can make them to take a bubble bath together. They usually would be okay afterward.

Your piggy shouldn't live alone, if you can get a piggy to live with them they will be so much happier. =)

CaliGirl

Cavy Slave
I looked at the website of a shelter near me, it didn't look like they had any spayed sows only neutered boars. I guess I'll look at another site. Is there a better chance that Rocky would get along with a sow rather than another boar? Rocky isn't old, but he isn't young. I got him a year ago last week.

AmiableAnimals

Cavy Slave
Best bet is that he would get along with a female, of course he or she would need to be altered. No reason why he wouldn't get along with anoter male, though. If he is past adolescence, you could either look for a baby boy, or go wiht another past adolescence boy. Good luck.

CaliGirl

Cavy Slave
what period of a guinea pigs life is considered adolescence?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
A rescue can help you match up boys. If push comes to shove, you can do a divider so they have some interaction.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
I adopted a year old maled to join my 2 year old male and even though they aren't best buds, they get along great and never fight. There is a bit of staring each other down but after a second or two one gives in and that is that.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I started out with 3 boars. They were all best buddys. Two of them died and the third was so lonely and just kept crying out and looking for his buddies. He was 1 1/2. I found him a 3 wk old boar and he was so happy to once again have a friend. They get along perfect, have never fought. Several weeks ago I rescued a 2 month boar. After quarintine, I put a divider qrid down the center of the cage so they both could smell tlhe new comer. Thru the grid they have all smelled and talked to each other. Today I am taking out the grid to see how they all do. I have a very large CC cage.
It's 3 grids by 4 grids and it's top is covered so the dogs and cats don't bother them.
taking out the grid to let them

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.