Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions I think my guinea pig has LICE /FLEAS or anger issues?

wheekmau5

Cavy Slave
My first guinea pig Gigi has always been like this ever since I got her from a craigslist ad. When I first got her I noticed a small bug in her cage and i disappeared in her bedding, now we use fleece. She always squeals every time you pet her (I've had her for about 2 years now) and she will nip at your finger if it approaches. We used to think it was anger problems or something and she will bite, squeal and chatter at April (her former cage mate). She acts a lot like this (although I don't poke her) Guinea Pig Biting From Being Poked - YouTube

I am no expert in fleas. However I suspect that Big Sis' has Mites, and she is very uncomfortable being touched at all. She used to nip, but that went away. She still kinda anticipates the touch, though.

Because your Pig has long hair, she is more susceptible to parasites and such. I would recommend keeping an eye on it, and if it doesn't go away or you notice any further unusual behavior/symptoms of sickness, post back and get her to a vet. Ivermectin is very easy to get, so if you need to treat but haven't confirmed she is sick, it won't hurt to do so.

:)

Hope I helped!

The video isn't mine and Gigi is a short haired guinea pig. I will bring her to the vet today for that and because she is having raspy breathing :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.