Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems I think my daughter's pigs have a fungus. Pics inside.

Megustalaplaya

Cavy Slave
The piggies arrived on Christmas and on day 3 of having them my daughter noticed a place on the side of one of the pigs nose. It was missing fur and had what looked to be small dots of dried blood. I thought maybe the pigs were fighting over dominance and told her not to worry about it just yet. That was bad advice. The place has gotten larger and has spread to other parts of the body. The other pig has it now too by her ear (4th pic) . I'm calling on Monday to see if the vet I use for my dog and cat are open as well as calling another vet that claims to have some exotic pet experience. I'm attaching pictures and could appreciate any thoughts if it is a fungus or possibly mites and what I can do until I can get them to the vet. This is my first experience with guinea pigs.

Attachments

Cocoa Nose.jpg Cocoa Ear.jpg Cocoa Back.jpg Ginger Ear.jpg
Good that you're taking piggy to the vet. Usually dog and cat vets are only good for dogs and cats, better ask your vet if he/she is comfortable with guinea pigs. Mine was honest enough to refer me to another vet, who specializes in small mammals.
It could possibly be mites, fleas, lice, or fungus. Mites are caused by stress, while the other two can be from the pet shop (if that's where you got her).
Lastly, take away the popcorn bits and seeds from the pig food, it's a choking hazard. :)

this could help: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Yep that's a fungus. If you want you can treat at home, that's what I did. You'll just need to get a fungus wash and some cream. Mine wasn't that bad so I didn't do the wash, she only had one small spot. You'll want monistat (yes the people one) and apply that twice daily. Also you need to wash everything with either vinegar or bleach and throughly wash the cage and every thing else. Anything that is wood toss as it is not possible to get the spores out and will reinfect. You need to wear gloves and protective clothing as that causes ringworm. Despite me wearing gloves and washing often I still managed to get a mild case of ringworm. Check out guinelynx.com they have more info!

That's a pretty bad looking case of fungus, I would definitely take them in to the vet. Find a cavy knowledgeable vet (usually an exotics veterinarian).

Since you are new to guinea pigs, you may want to read up on basic care. The best pellets to feed are a plain pellet, with no colored bits or nuts or seeds. There is lots of information here (check out the nutrition section) and at www.guinealynx.info (check out their Care Guide).

I have two vets that have been recommended to me but neither are open today.

I picked up some Miconazole7 to apply to the affected areas. One of the pigs acted as though the stuff bothered her when I applied it. As soon as I placed her back in her cage she started cleaning herself. Will this hurt her if she is ingesting this stuff? The other piggy didn't seem to mind it and left it alone.

I wouldn't slather the Monistat on, just put a dab on and rub it in well. But use gloves -- the stuff is very contagious. And I'd change clothes after handling the pig, and throw the dirty ones in the washer.

If you haven't already, read www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html on how to deal with the stuff.

Thank you so much for everyone's help. A problem that I'm having is they don't want to be touched. I'm able to get one to settle down on my lap but once I apply it to the area by her ear she flinches. I was able to get it on her but rubbing it in is out of the question. The other piggy was doing everything possible to get away from me when trying to apply it to her back. I couldn't keep her still and had to put her back in the cage. I was not able to get it on her face or top of her ear. These poor piggies have not had a chance to learn to trust me and here I am trying to rub cream on them that they don't want anything to do with. This is so frustrating for me.

Wrap them up like burritos, with just the parts with the fungus sticking out. And it sometimes helps if you make sure their eyes are covered -- it seems to calm them down.

I am very sorry you and your piggies are going through this. Everyone gave you some wonderful advice about treating your pigs. How about using a distraction when putting the cream on while holding them? Maybe try giving them a bit of carrot to eat or a leaf of lettuce. Hopefully this would distract them long enough so you could rub a bit of cream in. It might be easier if someone were to hold a pig and some food while another applied the cream. Good luck with everything! I understand how it's frustrating, but you're doing an excellent thing even though it stresses them out.

Took the piggies to a vet yesterday that was recommended to me by a rescue. The vet prescribed Grifulvin V 500 to put give orally and Tresiderm for a topical.

Other than the fungus the piggies look good and both weigh around 476 grams.

I am not the piggies favorite person right now. You would think I'm trying to kill them with the way they carry on when trying to apply the topical. They love the oral med as it flavored with pina colada. :)

Thanks for the update and Im glad your vet could help. Here is hoping to a fast recovery!

I'm very glad your piggies are getting the care they need. Just like how a child hates to take medicine, you know what's best for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.