Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick I think Ben's got a URI

Re: Ben has Relapsed

What antibiotic was he on? It could be that he just needed to be on the antibiotic for longer. If it was me, though, I would have him seen by the exotic vet, just to be on the safe side.

He was on Baytril twice a day. 11 mg for 7 days

Inle_Rabbit, it helps if you keep your posts on the same pig in the same thread, particularly if it's about medical problems. It saves having to hunt back through other threads finding out what's been done for or was wrong with your pig, or to ask again about it and have to wait on your answer.

It often takes longer than a week for Baytril to clear up an URI, but it can't be given on a long term basis to very young pigs. And it's the drug of choice for URIs. If he's older than 4 or 5 months, I'd be tempted to try him on a longer course of it. Be prepared for handfeeding if he loses his appetite.

Sorry, I didn't think about that. The old post was here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/66461/

Ben is 3 years old. I think I will call back the other vet and see if I can just get a refill then. If Ben doesn't look better by end of day Friday I'll take him into the exotic vet.

Thank you.

I merged the two threads.

I would take him back to the vet. It's possible the URI has developed into pneumonia. The vet can tell by listening to the lungs, and possibly taking xrays. The vet may prescribe more Baytril, or use it in conjunction with another antibiotic, or prescribe a different one.

I took him to the exotic vet this morning he still has a lingering URI. The vet said that if he isn't on the up swing by Saturday to bring him back in. More Baytril and that was pretty much it. Ben has had two doses of medication and he seems like he is doing about the same. I'll see how he is tomorrow evening and go from there. Thank you for your advice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.