Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I rescued him... and almost threw up.

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
http://www.geocities.com/wigggley_narco/yorkbreathe.wma

This link is a recording I just took of York's breathing... I was holding the mic right up to his face... and yes, it's loud all the time, not just because I had the mic up to his face. It gets louder depending on what he's doing.

Tell me what you think.

Oh my God! Bless his little heart. His breathing sounds like someone scratching something! I expect he has lung scarring, but I'm no vet. Get him to one as soon as you can.

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
The standards of animal control will vary by city, country, and state. It could be that, while animal control might want to do something, the laws in their particular area may not empower them to do so. They could also be incompetent. You may need to file a complaint about your animal control office as well.

If "the law" doesn't help out, there still may be options. Can anybody familiar with this situation offer advice? It may be possible to help/persuade her to improve things. Help a breeder to help her animals?
A bit of a moral dilemma. She must be ashamed at on some level. There may be an opportunity there to get her to make some changes.

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
That is truly a heart breaking story all the way around. The good news is, you got him out of a bad living situation. I do hope you little one makes it. Hope you can get him to the vet, and he can give him something to make him feel better. My heart goes out to both him and you.:heart:

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Oh my, that does sound awful. A vet visit is definitely in order and I hope it is something that can be dealt with.

ps: thanks for posting that.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Nice lady, or not...those animals need to be taken out of that situation. The important thing is THEIR welfare...NOT hers. She can take care of herself - they can't.

Please get in touch with Jennicat, ASAP.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
If you'd be able to get them as far as Utica I could foster a couple, I know a lady a few towns away who fosters and has quite a few empty cages [only a few Christmas Rejects so far]. I may be able to pick them up sooner than Utica [I'm in Syracuse] but I'd have to see about it once rescue plans have been made. PM me if anything happens and you need foster homes.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the support, everyone! York is doing just fine. I haven't been able to make him a vet appointment yet, but I'll be doing so very soon. I'm waiting till payday so I'll have the money for an Xray (they're $150 plus the office visit... *sigh*). I want to get the Xray to make sure he's not a heart piggy. But he's eating a lot more and coming out of his hidey house more. He's not even as skiddish as my other two! :) I'll keep ya'll updated on how he's doing, especially after I find out something from the vet.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
Some vets, if you've dealt with them before, may let you pay in installments so you can get the baby in there as soon as possible. It never hurts to ask, the worst they can do is say no. I will be sure to say a little prayer for your little boy. He is so cute. Give him kisses for me please!

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Oh lord, she can't continue on, those animals need to be confiscated immediately their health and lives are at stake, I don't even want to imagine what condition the rabbits are in. Animal control, the local spca, someone needs to get there and take immediate action. I'm so relieved you saved York. She sounds like a definite hoarder. Though she means well, they're in danger. I hope York will be ok, thank God one was rescued. Good luck.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Some vets, if you've dealt with them before, may let you pay in installments so you can get the baby in there as soon as possible. It never hurts to ask, the worst they can do is say no. I will be sure to say a little prayer for your little boy. He is so cute. Give him kisses for me please!

That's a good idea; I'm going to at least ASK, even though I seriously doubt the vet will agree to paying in installments. I take my piggies to Banfield Pet Hospital--yes, the one inside PetSmart. It's an hour away, but that's my only option--the next closest vet that will see guinea pigs is TWO hours away and costs double. Thankfully, so far, Dr. Sommerich has proven very competent in treating guinea pigs and successfully treated Wiggley for an abscess and Narco for a URI. I despise PetSmart, but Banfield seems ok.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Another option is ask if they'll take a posted dated check. My guy popcorn had to have a wound debrided and I was between paychecks. I explained this to them and they said it was fine that they would except it post dated. Popcorn was a new patient too. I love my vet, they are very down to earth and care deeply for the animals brought to them. An xray, the procedure, bandages ointment, smz, metacam and benebac...I was charged 140.00 dollars, my eyes popped out of my head...I thought easy 2-3 hundred dollars.

jbpiggy

Cavy Slave
AC in the area may well be incompetent. Has anyone else considered that the lady may be as well? Try to contact her family if she has any, her church, Social Services in your area may be the ones to call. My great grandmother is the sweetest woman, lived by herself up into her 80's. But, we had to move her in with my aunt, because she was neglecting all of her animals. She would swear she fed them everyday and say she "remembered" doing it. She would also leave her water and stove on all day.

blairie

Cavy Slave
Maybe a guinea pig / rabbit rescue would have some luck talking to the woman about this. It's a tough situation, but if approached the right way, she might see that she should re-home most of the pigs. Our cat rescue has gone in and removed cats from hoarding situations successfully. We've only had one person who wound up taking in more cats again and we had to go back. In the back of their minds, they really do want to do the right thing for the critters. So while these pigs might be her companions, or she might be a backyard beeder to make a few extra bucks, maybe she just needs to be educated. If a rescue is able to step in and take in some of the animals, I believe she can sign a relinqueshment agreement saying that she won't "hoard" like this in the future (ie only have 4-6 pigs at a time). I might be wrong on this, but you wouldn't want to remove 20 pigs and then have her get 20 more and do the same thing to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.