Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I never knew

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
OMG i never knew i am such a bad piggie person :(:weepy:
im home schooled and six hours a day i am outside with my piggies and i never released that cause im coming into winter the grass stays wetter for longer :guilty: and i still put them on there and then at my dads the cage has a wire bottom i NEVER knew that both of these can lead to bubble foot i feel sorry for my guinea pigs :sorry: i such a bad piggie person :(:weepy:

You are not a bad piggy person. You are here and learning. As long as you learn from your past mistakes and continue your piggy education you should be fine...as well as your pigs. Hopefully you take all the advice here and put it to good use. I know I did!

Don't feel bad. You thought you were doing the right thing. Now that you know better, you can make their lives better. I kept my first pig, Daisy, in the store bought cage she came in. I didn't know it was too small, or that she was lonely. Now that I know better, she has 3 friends and a HUGE cage, and she has fleece to live on.

Good Heavens, when I got my first piggie, he was in a cage about 1' x 2'- for YEARS!! Finally got him a much bigger cage, and I think he didn't know what to do with all that space!

We all make mistakes.

I agree with the consensus. You are not a bad piggy parent. A bad piggy parent would look at all the information on this forum, say, "Too much trouble!" and chuck it out the window. An honest, good parent will say, "You know, I hadn't thought about it that way before," and resolve problems as soon as possible in order to give the piggy a better life.

A lot of people have said they regret... I've never been a piggy parent, am not one yet, and I'm glad that I came here. I'll learn every thing I need to know before I get my piggies, but not every one does. Don't feel bad, just resolve the issue. How are the piggies doing now? That is the real question, not what you've done in the past. Hope these words cheer you up! Wheek!

You are not a bad person, as you want to correct your mistakes.
But I do feel like ignorance often is forgiven at the price of animals, or children. Not knowing shouldn't be taken so lightly in today's society where the information is available to just about everyone. I find it extremely upsetting when animals are living under dangerous or unhealthy situations simply because the owner can't bother to research properly beforehand. This is not aimed at you at all, just my thoughts on the matter overall.

Where are the pigs housed now?

You're only a bad piggy person if you know better, or learn that what you're doing is wrong, and still won't change it. There's a big difference between being a bad piggy person and an ignorant one. I think the majority of people who keep their pigs in the wrong conditions are simply ignorant. They don't know any better, and if they did, they would do the right thing.

I can't imagine how many pigs suffered before the Internet because good information wasn't readily available. When I was a kid, it was commonplace to dump a guinea pig in an aquarium, feed it only pellets, and use cedar shavings because they smelled good. Now it's easy to learn about proper cages, bedding, feeding, etc. because of sites like this one.

I'm still ashamed of the fact that I got my first piggy at a pet store, and I paid the price when he died of a URI shortly thereafter. I was ignorant then, but my next two were adopts and I base their care on what I've learned here. Hopefully you'll be able to do the same and turn into a shining example of a piggy parent.

@HannibalLecter No one's taking the lack of education lightly. I myself plan to make a series of educational videos after I get my piggies in a few months. In the mean time, I'm eating up all the education I can. I made reference to education when I said I was here before getting piggies, but this is poor timing to be discussing such strong feelings.

While they are important, Chikochikka was being honest and should be encouraged to continue her education. Sharp comments such as what you just made can be taken the wrong way and discourage people from learning further. I understand how you feel, but please be more careful when you share your feelings. You could end up discouraging rather then encouraging- the exact oppositie effect as what you are looking for. Thank you!

@HannibalLecter No one's taking the lack of education lightly. I myself plan to make a series of educational videos after I get my piggies in a few months. In the mean time, I'm eating up all the education I can. I made reference to education when I said I was here before getting piggies, but this is poor timing to be discussing such strong feelings.

While they are important, Chikochikka was being honest and should be encouraged to continue her education. Sharp comments such as what you just made can be taken the wrong way and discourage people from learning further. I understand how you feel, but please be more careful when you share your feelings. You could end up discouraging rather then encouraging- the exact oppositie effect as what you are looking for. Thank you!

It was a general statement concerning this subject, not aimed at the OP as I assume the OP is underage or was at the time, and wasn't responsible for the pigs in the first place as the parents should be.
I simply want to voice my opinion where everyone seem to think it's "completely fine as long as you didn't know better at the time." It's not fine at all, it's just what people need to tell themselves to not feel guilty, ignorance is never an excuse. And it shouldn't happen in the first place today where almost everyone is fully capable to research thoroughly beforehand. I don't understand why there are so many animals kept in an unsafe, unfitting environment when the information is so readily available.

Again, not aimed at you Chikochikka, you will find many here in the exact same situation.
What's done is done & there is no reason to dwell on it, just keep your pigs safe & healthy. :love:

No one said not knowing was a good thing or tried to excuse it. Why do you think I'm here? I don't have piggies, never have. Because this site exists people like me can learn the right parenting methods before we become piggy parents. Yes, researchers do exist, and yes, more people should do their research before becoming pet parents. That's important in and of itself, and I want to encourage every one I can to get an education- as I am doing and will continue to do over the next few months until we're ready to get our piggies (and they'll have a good life because of it).

My concern is that words spoken harshly, as well as they may be meant, can drive a person away. I witnessed it for myself on an introductory thread. The woman felt so overwhelmed, she ended up leaving Cavy Cages. That had the opposite effect then what posters wanted. Instead of getting educated the woman was chased away. That was my only concern about what you said.

It's important to get an education before you become a pet parent so you can do every thing in your power to do what's best for your pet. I will also encourage people to get an education if they're thinking about getting a pet. I understand your feelings, I think we all feel that way who are good parents. I just think there's a gentler way to approach others.

Make them feel they're being attacked and they can be overwhelmed and miss out on a good education- encouraging continued bad behaviors for lack of knowledgge. No one said it was good how her pets were treated, only that now she knew she could do something about it both now and in the future- which is good, right? She can not possibly turn back time and undo what's already been done, or I'm sure she would. Please be encouraging, not ready to attack at the slightest provocation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.