Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding I need some bonding suggestions

3luckyducks

Cavy Slave
Good morning!
I just woke up and very excited to go in and say hello to my new boys. I have pretty much left them alone like recommended for almost a day now.
When can I start giving them lap-time?
I need some bonding suggestions so they can start getting use to me. I thought about sitting next to their cage and reading a book out loud. Is that stupid?

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
It's actually not stupid I've done it before. My pigs (well most) love it when I read to them. There favorite book is The Little Cavy That Could. If you're the main feeder eventually your pigs will go crazy over you since that think you have veggies.

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
That is a great idea reading to your piggy babies.

I should do that sometimes.

I spent most lap time with my piggies surfing the web & you tube, listening to the musics & such. Believe me, they love it!

P.S. Piggies are actually really smart pets...

in fact, my most recent observation... when I close their piggy gate when they are upstairs having their daily roam time... My Bubbles, Diva & Lucky already know how to use their "big head" to nudge the gate open, navigate through the opening to access their "home" to bug me while I sweep up poopies.

piggers_sienna

Cavy Slave
I used to read to my piggies to. Piggers would sit there and stare at me she loved it. I think it gave her comfort hearing my voice every night. She is also more friendly than Sienna and I never read to Sienna so that could be part of it. It'll also get her used to your sound.

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
Also try hand feeding them most of their veggies, this was my breaking point for my Heidi. She would also run, One day I just held onto the carrot until she had to come and get it and eventually she came around.

3luckyducks

Cavy Slave
techdoc~ great suggestion, hadn't thought of it!

lucylamingtons

Cavy Slave
Hi there,

I have had my Guinea Pig for four days now...his name is Maxi. Maxi is 8 weeks old. Neither me nor my partner has had a little Guinea Pig before (he has had Guinea Pigs when he was a child but he always had them when they were older).

We left Maxi in his cage for a day or two, and now we are trying to get him acquainted with us - but I'm afraid he hates me!

I carefully take him out of his cage and sit down with him close to me and I pat him - this bit is fine. After about ten minutes he starts to make little noises from what I've seen on other websites this noise is also a good thing. Then Maxi starts to get curious and moves around a little and moves towards my head and sniffs me and sniffs my hands and turns around...all good.

I then let him go and he walks around and walks onto the ground and then starts to explore the room (small lounge room in a one bedroom apartment) and he makes those noises but louder and scurries here and there and here and there and when he finds a nice corner he is quiet and stays there a little bit...all good.

But after a short while his noises become a bit frantic and high pitched - not like he is happy. Extremely excited or scared? And he won't let me go near him for the life of him and i have to try and catch him to calm him but he tries to get loose from me and runs away. And he wont let me catch him so I feel bad, so I stop moving. Sometimes when I stop moving he then starts to make that really high pitched squeal and yeah....I don't know.

How do I make him like me and my partner??
Am I moving things too fast?
Should i just hold him for a while and put him in his cage or what?

Please help me :important

L

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Mm, hand feed him his daily veggies, that's what I did with my little baby.
It took awhile for her to warm up to the family, but she adores us now. (Especially because she watched us make her cage. :p)

PokeyPig

Cavy Slave
Aw! I'm going to read to my Pokey! That's a great idea. I bet he'd love that. When people are in the room talking he always gets excited and tries to join the conversation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.