Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I need some advice...

Lisser

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I just went to my local pet supply store to get some critter shampoo. One of the workers asked me what I was buying critter shampoo for. I told him for Guinea pigs. He told me that when they came into work this am, someone had left a cardboard box infront of the store doors. They opened it and in it were three GPs. One is extremely pregnant, the other is a very young male, and the third one is an adult male. What do I do? Do I take them all? If I do that then first I need to expand my cage, A LOT, also I have NO experience with a pregnant piggy!! What if I do something wrong? I am so new to piggies that I don't want to make anything any worse than it already is for these guys.

I sent an email three weeks ago to "This Little Piggy & Me" GP rescue about adopting some piggies but I never got a phone call return or an email return. Would it be best to try and email that rescue again? That is the only rescue that I am aware of in my area. I live near Cincinnati OH.

Let me know what you all think. I worried sick about them.

jeza921

Cavy Slave
Sounds awful. Poor pigs. There's also a pig rescue just outside of Louisville on the Indiana side. It's in Borden, Indiana. I forget what it's called, but you can search for pigs on Petfinder, and if you expand your search enough it'll show up.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
If you took them they would be better off living in a C&C cage then in a tiny petstore cage and you have everyone here to help you. You an take them and keep them untill you can get them into a shelter or keep them or keep them untill you can get a good home for them. Up to you.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I think if you can you should take them because they would have a good home. But it is up to you!

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
Yes, I think it would be better to take them.
I am REALLY mad at the person who just left those pigs out there >=(
About the pregant one, take her to the vet. They can help you with it.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Yeah if you have the room and even take in the upcoming babies. Please do, or at least find them a good home or turn them into the local shelter.

NewGPMom

Cavy Slave
I think if you have the space you should consider taking them. At the very least the pregnant one. They all deserve a great home but she is definately in need. If she is as big as you indicated she may have the babies at any time. At least if you take her, the pet store won't end up keeping her and making a profit on the babies. If they aren't in the business of selling them now, that may get them started if it would work out for them. We don't need anymore stores selling them. I made that mistake and don't get me wrong, I love them to pieces. But I ended up with a pregnant sow who had 4 babies and have more than I planned on but they are here now not by their choice so I give them the best home I can.

Lisser

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. This pet store won't be selling them, they don't sell pets, just animal supplies. They said they would be more than happy to give them all to me and GOSH I want them all so bad.

Ok, since I'm very new I will need to ask some questions:

All three are in the same cage now but one is a baby male (he's tiny), one is an adult male, and the other is the very pregnant female. Obviously the males and female can't stay together or she'll have litter after litter!! I have my two girls, Emily and Sarah also. What is the right way to house them all? Who can I put with who? The baby male and the adult male together? Is it ok to put the pregnant female with my two girls after 3 weeks quarantine time? I'm also fairly certain the baby has mites bc he's got scabs on him but he didn't squeal at all when I picked him up or pet him. I didn't notice any scabs on the other two but I'm sure they'll have them soon as well. Ideally I'd like to get the adult male neutered, and the baby when he's old enough and keep everyone together in one big happy herd. That won't happen right away though until the two males get fixed.

So...first I need some suggestions on what you all think is the best way to house all these piggies, for now then I need to know the best housing situation to keep them permanently. I would never be a good foster mommy. I won't be able to let them go. I'm such a wimp. If I take them, I take them forever, oh, I'm stingy too. ;) I guess if I was absolutely positively sure that another family would love and care for them as much as, if not more, than I do, then I would let them go...but I'd have to be 110% sure.

After mom has her babies does she need to be in a separate cage with just her and the babies in it for a period of time?

My next question concerns the pregnant piggy. Someone suggested I just take her to the vet and they will help me through the pregnancy? My vet is an exotic vet and he has an animal hospital attached to his practice. He also has a residence at the animal hospital. He has been known to stay overnight at the hospital if he's got a very sick patient. I wonder if he'd keep the mommy until she delivered given my inexperience with this?

Also, feeding a pregnant mommy, and feeding newborn piggies. I need some help on this too. I'm going to start searching through the forums and make notes but if any of you could give me some quick tips that would be great. I need to get started on cage modifications right away so I can get those piggies out of that card board box.

Thanks all!!! :)

Alanas

Cavy Slave
I adopted a pregnant Piggy, been there! Okay, if you can, feed the pregnant piggy and the young male alfalfa pellets, they have extra calcium in them. You don't need to feed the babies by hand or anything, the mother will feed them. Also when you say very pregnant, she may not be as far along as you think. I thought my piggy was going to burst before she gave birth. The best way to tell when she is going to give birth is to put your finger above the vulva and press gently, there should be 2 pelvic bones that are tightly almost fused together on a non pregnant cavy or a cavy in early - mid pregnancy, as the pregnancy progresses these pelvic bones will separate, it will be about 1/2 - 1 cm apart 1-2 weeks before birth and then it will be about 2 cms apart approximately 3 days before birth. She should be okay giving birth since it seems as though she has given birth before, it is good if you can be there for the birth incase she has a fast delivery and doesn't break all of the sacks. YOU MUST separate the other males from her near birth time, because she will be in heat within 45 minutes after delivery. After she gives birth, leave all of the muck and placenta's in the cage, the mother will eat these to provide nutrients for the pups. If you have any other questions, ask away, or you can private message me.

Alanas

Cavy Slave
Also that young male is probably sexually mature and may be getting bitten by the older male.

Lisser

Cavy Slave
thanks for the replies. Can anyone suggest specific housing requirements for right now and permanently? I need to start making some cage adjustments. How soon can the young male be neutered? I've got a call into my vet but I also want to hear from you all.

NewGPMom

Cavy Slave
You can keep the males together. They may or may not fight--its hard to tell. I think if they fight, it will likely happen during adolescence of the baby. You would probably need a 2x4 c&c for them (you Might be able to get away with a 2x3 for now if you plan to neuter one soon) I think I've read they can be neutered around 4-6 months. Hopefully someone here who has had one neutered can answer that better for you. The female could be housed with the other girls after quarantine. They may actually help out with the babies when the time comes.

As far as pregnancy, you could have her checked by a vet but I don't think there is much they can tell you. If you can feel the pups moving and here teeth chattering, they will likely be here within a couple of weeks. There are many people here who have fostered pregnant piggies and could tell you better. I only have the experience with one time. Alanas has probably given you good advice since she has been through this as well.

Good luck if you decide to take them in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.