Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I need some advice...

RegalFlame

Cavy Slave
I just got my first piggy about a month ago, and I was pretty happy. When I pet her, she makes a rumbling sound, which I have found out , is not good. I don't stroke her hair backwards, and she always runs when someone puts their hand near her. I suppose you could say that she's timid, and not used to us, but I was wondering how long it usually is until they are used to you and allow you to pet them, handle them, give them laptime and floortime. Also, is there anything I can do to help her feel more at home?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Give her laptime every day even if she seems not to like it, make sure to give her veggies, eventually she will become more tame. Hold off on floor time for a bit. The best thing to help her settle in would be to get a nice c&c cage (not sure if you have one ) and to adopt her a same sex buddy.

RegalFlame

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advice. Everytime I try to pick her up she runs away and is almost impossible to catch for laptime, but I think the veggie part will help out a lot. As for a companion for her, I'll try to get one, since that will help out a lot more than the veggies... I think. Anyway, again, thanks for the advice, now to go get salad for my piggy...

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I got my guinea pig almost a year ago and he still runs away from me when i try to pick him up. He finally let me pet him though. Eventually she will get use to you. I agree with dagwell about the laptime everyday. Also she needs veggies everyday. Wait a while to give her floortime. She needs to get use to her cage and feel safe in it.

RegalFlame

Cavy Slave
I think she's pretty comfortable in her cage though, she runs around squeaking a lot, (not from hunger cause I always make sure her food bowl is always full) and she popcorns too. She does that the most when people are around, but when someone reaches out to touch her, she runs away.

sporkubus

Cavy Slave
RegalFlame said:
she makes a rumbling sound, which I have found out , is not good.

Wait a sec... my pig makes a little rumbling noise when I first start petting her, but I always thought it was a good thing....

ginnymommy

Cavy Slave
huh my ginny makes rumbling sounds also both of them do not all the time but some
I have only had my ginnys for a week and I make sure that i hold them both for awhile even if they are not to keen to it at first but they are getting used to it
they tend to calm down after a few min
thanks for the advice with holding off on the floor time I think you are rite with making them comfortable with there new house first and us

thanks

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
My Charlie pig was a very timid little thing when I first brought him home, he wouldn't even come out of his cage. Now, aged nearly 2 (his birthday on Friday!) he jumps up on my lap, loves getting stroked and fussed up, and doesn't even get scared when I'm standing up near him! But he doesn't like being picked up still. You just have to let your pig call the shots. Tuppy, my other piggy, is 11 months and she is only just starting to let me stroke her for a very short while. You can't do anything to hurry it...the best way is just to move slowly and talk softly while near her, and hand feed her veggies as often as possible, rather than giving her a bowl full of veggies to munch through on her own.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Rumbling can mean a happy pig as well as an annoyed/dominant pig. You know if your pig doesn't like what you're doing...he will headbutt your hand out of the way, or will jump up and shake you off.

sporkubus said:
Wait a sec... my pig makes a little rumbling noise when I first start petting her, but I always thought it was a good thing....

sporkubus

Cavy Slave
cavy-cool-crazy said:
Rumbling can mean a happy pig as well as an annoyed/dominant pig. You know if your pig doesn't like what you're doing...he will headbutt your hand out of the way, or will jump up and shake you off.

If they're popcorning, does that mean they're happy? When my pig sits on my shoulder, she snuggles up to my neck and popcorns, but if I hold her in my lap sometimes she acts really nervous.

pennick

Cavy Slave
sporkubus said:
If they're popcorning, does that mean they're happy? When my pig sits on my shoulder, she snuggles up to my neck and popcorns, but if I hold her in my lap sometimes she acts really nervous.

Popcorning means they are happy. If you started out putting her on your neck and she is use to that then maybe lap time is scary for her. Piggies need time to adjust to new locations even if its your lap, neck, shoulder, whatever. I have always had my piggies on my lap and they are fine. If I put them down by my side on the bed they panic. Or if I put them on my shoulder they tense up. Just continue to put her on your lap for awhile so she can get use to it if thats what you want. Its normal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.