Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick I need quick advice

Z.Edney

Cavy Slave
My little baby Sadie came home with us about 2 weeks ago....the first day she wheezed for a few seconds but we never heard that sound again. The third day I thought I heard a hooting noise but it stopped once I went to to see if it was her and I haven't heard that noise since. She eats popcorns and every day gets more comfortable and curious. However she had a very runny nose and had a lot of discharge that dried up. I took her to the vet and he said her heart sounded good and there was no rattling or crackling in her lungs but wanted to prescribe her antibiotics just in case. I asked what antibiotics he was going to prescribe and first he said baytril which I read is not good for young guinea pigs. He then went on to try to prescribe something on the no-no list. I asked him to prescribe bactrim which he did. I haven't given it to her yet because the dosage seems really high for a guinea pig of her size. I don't have a scale here but I believe her to weigh around half a pound...she a tiny. He prescribed .4 cc. Does anyone have any advice?

I would definitely invest in a good kitchen scale. It's important to keep track of their weight on a weekly basis. Guinea pigs as prey animals tend to hide any illness symptoms they have. The one thing they cannot hide is weight loss.

I called the vet and she weighs 428 grams which I believe is .9 pounds or 15 ounces. So my question is...is .4cc to much bactrim for a guinea pig that small?

Did you check out the dosage information over at Guinea Lynx? Click on safe medications, then antibiotics, then Bactrim (or Trimeth Sulfa is another name).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.