Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I need information! PLEASE ANSWER

CruisersMommy

Cavy Slave
Alright so some of you know that i was wanttingg a second guinea pig so my guinea piggy Cruiser could have a friend and my mom kept saying no no no no no. welll my dad said yes! But heres the situation, my Uncle Josh's guinea pig had babies (he bought a preggo one from the dreadful place called a petstore) and if one of the three is a male i get one!! I am literally praying that ones a boy! What is the probability of a sow having males to females? Is there a ratio for that ahaha. But anny ways, i have a 2x3 cage and its kinda in a circle bc its ziptied. but how much bigger would i have to make it for two boars. and whats the quarintine period? I have another cage i would put him in until he gets bigger since he is only going to be around 5 weeks when i get him. IF i do. I just need all the information about two pigs, babies, cages. oh and one more questions what are the best veggies for piggies?!? Oh and Cruiser is around 9-11 months. would a baby be ok with him?

Last edited:
Alright so some of you know that i was wanttingg a second guinea pig so my guinea piggy Cruiser could have a friend and my mom kept saying no no no no no. welll my dad said yes! But heres the situation, my Uncle Josh's guinea pig had babies (he bought a preggo one from the dreadful place called a petstore) and if one of the three is a male i get one!! I am literally praying that ones a boy!

Yay!

What is the probability of a sow having males to females? Is there a ratio for that ahaha.

I'm pretty sure it's pretty random. I mean, bringing it back to science and the reproductive system, assuming the sperm process is the same as us human's, it all depends on what chromosomes are in it. There's no way to know how many x and y chromosomes were fertilizing the eggs, however, so it is all luck I guess.

But anny ways, i have a 2x3 cage and its kinda in a circle bc its ziptied. but how much bigger would i have to make it for two boars.

Bigger is always better, but the recommended size for two boars is a 2x4. The minimum is technically a 2x3, but to reduce the risk of fighting, I'd make it a 2x4.

and whats the quarintine period?

2-3 weeks.

I have another cage i would put him in until he gets bigger since he is only going to be around 5 weeks when i get him. IF i do.

You are not keeping him? And what type of cage is this? If it is C&C, make sure you baby-proof it.

oh and one more questions what are the best veggies for piggies?!?

Bell pepper is key, along with lettuce. Another great veggie to add to this combo is cilantro.

Add as you please, just use the proportions listed here.

Hope this helps! Congrats on the new addition, be sure to post pigtures! :)

No i dont have him yet and its a wire bunny cage that i use at my mom but as soon as i get him if i do i hope theres a boy, but when i get him he and my guinea pig cruiser will stay at my dads. And thanks so much for the answer!

Let your uncle know that he needs to seperate any male babies from their mom at 3 weeks old, so you could actually have your baby earlier then 5 weeks.

I would keep the baby in a quarentine cage for 3 weeks to ensure he is healthy before introducing him to your piggy.

As Ariona stated, a 2x4 would be best to minimize the possibility for fights. So if your cage is kind of circle shaped then expand your circle to include 12 grids.

Whether he's in the quarentine cage or the C&C cage, make sure it's baby proofed so he can't escape or get his head stuck in between the bars.

oh and when i get him i am keeping him im sying if i get him bc i dont know if there is a boy in the litter yet

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.