Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions I may be getting a pair or a new piggie and i want some info?

arcangel

Cavy Slave
Okay to start off my mite problem is gone completly and i did everything this wonderful and helpful told me and now or a couple weeks ago my piggie has been better. Now to get to the topic at hand my friend got some piggies a month ago and now says he cannot handle his pair and that he will soon be giving them away to resue or shelter. i said to myself i have a massive cage and i mean by that my cage is big enough for 6-8 pigs if i wanted to. So i said i may be able to take them if my piggies like them. Now his piggies are 3-4 months old and mind are roughly 8-9 months. So could that work and how do i go about adding other pigs to my pair. Both mine and his pigs are girls. A off topic Question too is when do you start trimming your piggies nails cus ive had mine for awhile now but their nails haven grow much? Please and thank yous for help.

To answer your question about introductions, this link should help you out. Introductions is about halfway down. As for nail trimming, you should trim their nails, well, when they get too (are starting to get too) long! Someone more experienced than I am in the cavy world should have a better answer. :)

for your nail question-

if you notice curling, carefully trim them right away. you should trim your pigs' nails once a month- however, if you notice fast nail growth, you should trim the nails more than once in a single month.

even if you don't notice quick nail growth, or any growth, at ALL, try to at least trim the very tips once a month to keep control of the nails.

I give all my boys a nail trim every 2 weeks. I have 2 that have fast growing nails that looked like a hawks talons, the other 2 have what I like to call baby nails(even though they aren't) that don't get long. I just trim all the boys on the same day because it makes it easier for me to remember when to do it.

how do u trim piggies nails?

I've been searching for that page myself... Thank you for the link

Im kinda of scared of nail trimming my piggies they dont like to be handle very much and will squirm a lot. How do i go about this? my friend who has owned piggies for 2 years now is coming to help :). About the introductions does a play area like a floor time area work for a new turf?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.