Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other I`m trying to determine the best cage for a hoglet I`ll be getting in October.

Muskwacis

Cavy Slave
Hello, I`ve been in contact with Sue from the C&C website and she only had limited knowledge on how hedgehog owners like to set up their cages. I was told a 24x24 by the breeder would be a large enough cage but then Sue said that`s a very old system, and hedgehogs need about five square feet to roam around. Anyway I decided I would look into getting (broken link removed) . I'm a bit concerned about the coroplast on the walls, the breeders were saying to make it ten inches up to keep a fully grown hedgehog from climbing the cage, and I assume this cage doesn`t have enough side paneling coroplast to make it ten inches all the way around.

Does anyone know how wide the actual second level is? I was thinking of putting their igloo up there so they can sleep up there, and have their food and water up there as well, then at the bottom I would have the wheel, a litter pan, and some toys for the hedgehog, or is it better to put something else up there instead of the food, water, and their igloo? I`m also a bit concerned about the ramp, does anyone have stories that their hedgehog would try to escape using the wall along the side of the ramp, or that the hedgehog would climb over the side railing of the ramp and fall onto the first floor?

I read somewhere that Hedgehogs can distinguish yellow, would it be a good Idea to have the coroplast be yellow? I plan on putting fleece down for a bedding, and having cut up fleece bits in the hedgehog`s igloo so it can do some burrowing because I`m nervous about mites and shavings. Would the side coroplast on the roof be able to go ten inches up? I wouldn't want my hedgehog escaping through the second floor! It looks like it would.

Also for heat sources I was thinking of a Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R Thermostat that would automatically turn off the heating lamp once the preset temperature in my hedgehog`s cage was warm enough, and on when the temperature inside dropped to a preset number. How would this best work since there`s two floors? Two of them, or just take out the coroplast on the second floor and put the lamp in there and put everything on the bottom floor and take away the ramp, and set the hedgehog`s home just below the lamp?

Hmmm, well I was looking around at all the other cages people have made and I can only assume that C&C cages are customizable with enough walls yes? That`s pretty cool, and I like many of the various inspirations people have had for them.

I seen a picture of a ramp that was covered with a section of the C&C cage wall, it look bent s that it was arched like a dome over the ramp. Are they easy to bend or was that a specifically ordered piece?

I seen a picture of a ramp that was covered with a section of the C&C cage wall, it look bent s that it was arched like a dome over the ramp. So the hedgehog couldn`t crawl over the side walls. Are they easy to bend or was that a specifically ordered piece?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.