Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet I lost my Valentine today

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
My boy "valentine" died today. I took him to the vet to get neutered so he could stay in the cage with his sister and nanny-pig and have companions. The called me at 9am and said everything went well, I could come at 5 to pick him up after they make sure he comes out of the anesthetic and everything ok. I was getting ready to leave at 4pm and the vet called and said they found him dead. They were shocked as shortly before that he was acting fine and moving around. they asked to do an autopsy. The autopsy showed he had a vestigial uterus, and during the neutering, a ligament that was attached to both the inside of the testicles and the uterus (that the vet did not see or knew existed) and the ligament tore. As the anesthetic wore off and his blood pressure came up and he became more active, it must have tore it more and he apparently bleed do death internally. there was no way to predict this as it was a total genetic fluke. I feel so awful about this. I tried to do the right thing and be a responsible pet owner and prevent unnecessary pregnancies, and help give my little guy a healthier happier life with companions, and it was the procedure itself that killed him. I'm completely devastated right now. Just goes to show how dangerous inbreeding or improper breeding can be and how important it is that breeding is left to professionals only! This whole drama I have had to endure, and put my children through, is all the result of and unplanned pregnancy and most likely inbreeding. Its broken my heart and my kids hearts.

I am so sorry for your lose. It sounds like you were doing the right thing by getting him neutered so he could live with his friends. It is so sad to hear what happened.

I'm so sorry for your loss!! You were trying to do the right thing for your little guy and I'm sure he knows that and is happy in heaven.

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you during this hard time.

I am so sorry for your loss. You were doing the right thing by getting him neutered, and remeber, it's not your fault that this happend. RIP Valentine <3

I am so so sorry. Oh, the poor thing. He is over the rainbow bridge, eating veggies. I am so sorry.

I'm so very sorry for your loss

I'm so sorry that your lost your boy.

I'm so sorry. I've never even heard of that.

I'm sorry for your loss...

I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Valentine. He is happy and healthy now at the rainbow bridge

I'm so sorry. I've never even heard of that.
thank you for all the support. The vet said he has never actually seen that before either.

So sad:( But you were really doing the best for him. Such a rare unexpected thing to happen...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.