Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I lost my sweet Murphy today

GGLuv

Cavy Slave
This morning I took Murphy and Patches out of their cage and put them in their exercise run. I walked out of the room and returned about 5 minutes later. I looked at my boys and Murphy was laying on his side. I picked him up and his whole body was limp but his eyes were open. I immediately panicked and began getting ready to take him to the Vet. When I returned to the room to get him, Patches was trying his best to get Murphy to get up. My heart just broke even more. When I got to the Vet she said Murphy was already gone. On top of being grief stricken, I was really upset because the Vet couldn't really tell me what had happened to him. When I returned home I put Patches on my lap and spoke gently to him and caressed him for awhile. I was afraid to put him back in his cage and I keep looking in on him every few minutes. I wish I knew for sure what happened, I'm just so afraid I'll do it again. The Vet said he had a heart attack but in the end I think she was just guessing.

I am currently filling out an application for the "Texas Rustlers Guinea Pig Rescue" and hope to pick up another little guy on Saturday. I'm taking Patches with me and hope to be able to gauge how well he will get along with a new friend. I just hope he doesn't grieve too much until then.

I am so sorry for your loss. That is so sad!! :( :( Good luck finding a new friend for Patches, he must be upset as well. :(

I'm so very sorry for your loss.
RIP Murphy :love:

That's so sad, I'm sorry :(

I'm sorry you lost Murphy. But TRGPR is awesome, and I'm sure they'll help you find a friend for Patches.

Thank you so much, you guys are awesome!!! I love this forum. I put this forum name on my TRGPR application as a wonderful place for resources and to ask questions and get such good answers.

I am sorry for your lose. I can image it only being worse not knowing what happened.

Im sorry , I hope you find him a friend.

I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and Patches during this hard time. :love:

It's awesome that you're looking for a new friend for Patches. ❤️

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I recently lost my Lilo a week ago and its just so hard when you don't know what their cause of death was...especially when its so unexpected. I'm sure Murphy will be sorely missed by all. Good luck in finding a new companion for Patches.

I am very sorry. Our shadow died yesterday and I miss him a lot. We plan on getting another one too but will wait a few weeks. Ginger her best pal misses her terribly.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I recently lost my Lilo a week ago and its just so hard when you don't know what their cause of death was...especially when its so unexpected. I'm sure Murphy will be sorely missed by all. Good luck in finding a new companion for Patches.

Thank you mirasmum. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you are doing ok. Do you plan on getting another piggie. Do you know what your piggie died from.

Last edited:
I am very sorry. Our shadow died yesterday and I miss him a lot. We plan on getting another one too but will wait a few weeks. Ginger her best pal misses her terribly.

I am so sorry for your loss of Shadow. I know how you feel. After watching Patches trying to make Murphy get up, I'm afraid he might grieve too much if I don't get him a friend soon. I don't want to lose him too.

I am so sorry for your loss of Shadow. I know how you feel. After watching Patches trying to make Murphy get up, I'm afraid he might grieve too much if I don't get him a friend soon. I don't want to lose him too.

I have to correct ,shadow was a girl. With her name picked out by my son, I always caught myself saying he or him. I just noticed in my post I said him!

I agree with you about them grieving. I also saw the strong connection between the two of them that morning before I left for work. Ginger was nudging ,almost like patting shadows face. She was comforting her friend. Makes me teary eyed thinking about it. They are very smart animals. We are just giving ginger lots of extra love and cuddle time. I am sure you are doing the same with patches. It's so sad to see them sad:(

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my Oliver a little over a month ago.. it doesn't get any easier. I have since gotten two more boars to make up for his absence but it isn't the same. I love Harper and Radley but they are just not Ollie.
I hope you're able to find a friend for Patches. It is truly heartbreaking to look into that big cage and see one lonely piggy.
❤️

Litterally started crying shen I heard about your lose. It's not your fualt he's gone. I'm sure your a great piggy owner, but sometimes you just can't prevent it. I've lost two of my sweet little guinea pigs, my first guinea pig, Luna, and my second, Smokey, they mother of my three little pigglies now. Smokey was very sad when Luna died, they had not even known each other that long, and my two girls were very sad when Smokey was dying in my lap...:ashamed:. I don't exactly know what I did wrong with them...I always imagined myself as an average guinea pig care taker, but oh well. They are all looking down on us, from Rainbow Bridge, and I'm sure that Merphy and them are all playing in a wide feild, filled with there favorite treats. I'm so sorry, I know what your oging through, and I hope you find Patches a freind. Sending all my love to you and Patches, Rest in Peace, Merphy,
Luna:love:

Litterally started crying shen I heard about your lose. It's not your fualt he's gone. I'm sure your a great piggy owner, but sometimes you just can't prevent it. I've lost two of my sweet little guinea pigs, my first guinea pig, Luna, and my second, Smokey, they mother of my three little pigglies now. Smokey was very sad when Luna died, they had not even known each other that long, and my two girls were very sad when Smokey was dying in my lap...:ashamed:. I don't exactly know what I did wrong with them...I always imagined myself as an average guinea pig care taker, but oh well. They are all looking down on us, from Rainbow Bridge, and I'm sure that Merphy and them are all playing in a wide feild, filled with there favorite treats. I'm so sorry, I know what your oging through, and I hope you find Patches a freind. Sending all my love to you and Patches, Rest in Peace, Merphy,
Luna:love:

Your reply is so very sweet, thank you so much. I really do wish I knew what happened to my Murphy. I feel like I may have killed him. Maybe I grabbed/held him too tight when I picked him up. Maybe I over fed him. I was going to pay for an autopsy but the vet said there was only a 50/50 chance that she would be able to tell what happened so I left it alone. I took Patches to the piggy rescue center but he didn't like the first piggy and would have nothing to do with any others after that. The volunteer said he may still be grieving and not ready for another friend yet. I'm going to try again in about a week.

That's a good idea, maybe he's just not ready yet. But how would you really put so much weight on yourself by saying you killed him? That just isn't fair to yourself! Besides, he's happy where he is now, he has all the freinds and loved ones he wanted..Exept you. But you'll see him again, don't worry, even if it son't quite be the same like it is down here, you'll see him at rainbow Bridge. That's what they say, right? When they owner dies, the get to see each other again, the get re-united at rainbow Bridge, where they can live in happiness, and never haved to worry about being seperated again! :) :love:

You're right, I know PeeWee (my Schnauzer) is waiting for me too. I had him from the time he was a puppy until he was 19 years old and I had to have him put down. One of the hardest times in my life. I was so distraught that the vet wouldn't let let me leave the office until he was sure I was ok.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss!! And do not blame yourself... as we all know, guinea pigs are fragile little guys, and even with the best of care they can pass away suddenly :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.