Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I know I've seen some bad things but this...

Yikes, did you read this bit?

(broken link removed)

Meh. He does seem to care about his pigs, but the man is a downright idiot. That page also mentioned that he's breeding them, not cool. Especially since he doesn't properly care for the pigs he already has.

I really think than rather being angry and abusive in the letter (because that will cause a person to just disreguard it, and even though it is good to be hopeful that your angry words will be able to pursuade this misguided person, it is unlikely. I think in a letter to this person you need to be polite, and show your intelligence, as well as show how much you know about cavies in a way that makes this person think "Oh wow okay, this person knows his/her stuff" rather than a reaction like "Oh this person thinks she knows everything." It is all about possitive re-inforcement. You can yell and abuse this person in caps all you want if it will make you feel better, but it won't change anything. If you are polite but firm as well as knowledgable and intelligent in your letter, you are much more likely to change something. If I have worded anything wrong in this post or offended anyone I am sorry, I have just gotten home from a long day at work and my brain isn't functioning as well as it usually does. I need to get back into essay mode for uni next week.
CHEERS!

alanas said:
I really think than rather being angry and abusive in the letter (because that will cause a person to just disreguard it, and even though it is good to be hopeful that your angry words will be able to pursuade this misguided person, it is unlikely. I think in a letter to this person you need to be polite, and show your intelligence, as well as show how much you know about cavies in a way that makes this person think "Oh wow okay, this person knows his/her stuff" rather than a reaction like "Oh this person thinks she knows everything." It is all about possitive re-inforcement.

That's what I said in the begining! And no one listened. Oh well.

Sorry CuteButShyPig, didn't mean to seem ignorant. I read the posts all at once the other day and then when I was cleaning the house a couple of days later I thought about it then just wrote. Sorry! I will pay more attention next time.

Being rude, yelling, swearing usually will put someone on the defensive making them defend their ways of views or the way they are doing something. Even if they know it is wrong. I agree with cutebutshypig. Start out nice and give good positive knowledge and the good websites for piggies.
Most of us who came on this website ( I know I did) did not know alot about good care for piggies. I now give everyone I know that is interested in pigs this website along with the GL site, including my vet.
Abuse of any kind bothers all of us and we get so mad when we see it happening.
I think it's good when you all find these awful websites and then try to do something positive for the lives of the animals involved. Keep it happening. You may or may. not ever hear back or know what affect you have had. But if one reads your e-mails and takes it to heart and looks up this or the other good websites and changes, You have helped save a life. Keep up the good work!

alanas said:
Sorry CuteButShyPig, didn't mean to seem ignorant. I read the posts all at once the other day and then when I was cleaning the house a couple of days later I thought about it then just wrote. Sorry! I will pay more attention next time.

It's ok, I wasn't saying it meanly or anything in a bad tone. Just as a "Ugh finally someone notices" type of thing.

:O Doesn't he know that GPs came from SOUTH AMERICA??? They are used to really warm temps >< That is so unfair ><

Im sending that stupid person a email >< fibergeek @ codegurus.be SEND IT THERE

Sending people nasty emails may make you feel better at the time, but it solves nothing. I use to actually post angry emails on my page and make them look stupid for fun.

I know this is technicly an 'old' post, but I have an update...the owner answered me, here's what he said...

Hello

Somehow your message got into my spam box and I only saw it now.

1. About the Peru mountains. I read this in a Dutch book. I do know they don't live in snow, but the book did write it can get cold and than guinea pigs can handle the cold. I think that realtify prooves this. I don't know about winters where you live but in Belgium they don't get too cold. And if it would I would definitly put them inside.

2. You're right about quarintining the cavy, but yes, it was my nieces cavy, I knew him very well before we decided to let them meet.

3. About the mice, they were wild mice! I used mice trap to catch them (out of reach of my guinea pigs), it's not green thinking but I didn't want to take the risk to use poison.

4. I don't know why you say that mixed food is unsafe. You don't even know the food I'm feeding them. You only saw one picture of a bowl with food. It's special food that the food shop sells for guinea pigs with added vitimin C. I also feed to real carrots, paprika's and other vegetabels.

I looked at the people's reaction and I feel hurt. It's totally unfair to tell me I don't care about my guinea pigs, it's really unfair. One day Shelly (who drowned in the pool) got ill, I thought she hurted her leg because she had problems with walking. I took her near me and the next day I went to the vet doctor who looked at her and convinced me everything was ok.

And to answer you question "what are you thinking?" Well I'm thinking I'm doing the right thing. I did investigate before I acquired Jaana and Shelly.
The 'what were you thinking?' part was for the keeping the male and female together.

I still don't think they should be outside in under 68-Degree temps.

For what its worth, there's some really crappy advice about guinea pigs in Belgium. I manage to find poor advice like, "you can't keep males together." It's basically all pro-breeding (Belgium itself does not seem to have an overpopulation problem. But its neighbour The Netherlands does).

And it's quite common for people to house their guinea pigs outside. Personally, I find it too cold (it does freeze). Not only for the guinea pigs, but also for me! And I definitely wouldn't think about putting them in snow...or near a pool.

As for the pellets, we only had a plain pellet variety introduced here a few months ago called "Science Selective." Until then it was impossible to find pellets over here. I had to drive to The Netherlands to get food.

I'm just pointing out the different mentality over here in Belgium, not that I agree with it. I still think he made some bad judgement calls though. If you house guinea pigs outside, they need protection from the elements (ie. don't put them in snow) & a safe area to run in (ie. not by a pool).

But the poor guy really loved his pigs. He did what he thought was right and he will probably look after them better now that so many people have sent hate-mail to him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.