Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I just thought I would introduce myself.

pringles70

Cavy Slave
Hello All! I am a new guinea pig mommy. I've build Jake a C&C cage (8 inch colorplast sides) with a lid because I have a curious cat. He's a silly little boy who popcorns all over the place, it's so funny!

He is slowly getting the hang of his veggies, so far his favorites are cucumber and carrots. Is it weird that he only likes the rind of a cucumber, is that okay for him? I introduce a new vegetable every other day or so but he turns his nose up at them so far.

I'm going to give him plenty of floor time as soon as I can find something to build a barrier (of course kitty will be nowhere near him when he gets floor time). I need some ideas, as right now he just gets to run around on my bed while I'm sitting with him. I don't know that more panels will work for him as he's rather small at this point, I think he could walk right through the bars. I was thinking something that you could use to line a garden with, that fence looking stuff?

Anyway, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He gets unlimited hay, his veggies twice a day, and all the food he wants to eat. I've also given him two water bottles.

This weekend I picked him up a cozy, and since then it's hard to get him out of it. He's in love!! But now he is too lazy. Is it wrong to take his cozy out every now and then to get him moving?

I will upload pictures as soon as I can figure out how to resize them. I don't want to run into issues with mods, they have enough to keep them busy as it is:)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Your pig sounds really cute!

The cucumber rind is fine for him to eat... my pigs prefer the rind as well. If you're having trouble getting him to eat other foods, stop giving the carrots, and start giving just one new food at a time (lettuce and green pepper are good to start with). You might have to be really patient, just keep offering these foods until he starts eating them consistently. Once he starts eating those, then slowly introduce more. The nutrition charts here are excellent for deciding what to feed!

As for floor time, do you have a room or part of a hallway you could section off? That way you don't have to fence the entire thing in. Otherwise there are grids that are mesh-like that you can buy that he couldn't possibly get stuck in.

Have you considered getting Jake a friend? Guinea pigs do best in pairs. A friend might even encourage him to try new foods.

I look forward to seeing your pictures!

pringles70

Cavy Slave
I have thought of getting him a friend, but don't males fight each other when they get older?

Using the hallway for floor time would be a great idea actually, I don't know why I didn't think of it. Then I just need something to block off the one end, since I can just close the door at the other end. Thank you!!

xDardentlove

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new son=) I have two boars right now and they (like some people) don't get along every now and then for about 5 minutes. But other than those few minutes everyday they love each other's company. It's just a matter of finding two personalities that mesh. Good luck and welcome!!