Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I just got my pig

Darkness

Cavy Slave
She so cute but she might be haveing babys soon some one but a male in with her and yeah so now we think shes gonna have babys soon. Last night I stayed up until like 1:00 watching her trying not to bug her that much. She didnet eat hardly andything just a yogert drop and a pice of food not much and i dont think she had drinken anything. Is this normal for a guinea pig when u first get them? or is she sick.... or could it have something to do with her haveing babys soon? any help will be nice.

Congrats on the new pig, but don't feed yogurt drops, not very healthy for the piggy. What kind of food are you feeding her, any fresh veggies? Sometimes new guinea pigs may not eat until they have a friend that will eat the food. Also, you will want to get alfalfa hay and pellets to help with the calcium.

COngrats again, we need pictures!!

we got this like Top of the line grade A guinea food that the lady who sold us her said she likes. Also we have alfalfa hay..I migh get another guinea pig in a few weeks for her to have a friend. I feed her like half of a carrot she really enjoyed it. Im gonna try to get pictures as soon as I learn how to use the camra. :D

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I hope your grade A guinea food is a plain pellet and not mixed with nuts, seeds and pieces of dried veggies or other crap. Nuts, seeds and dried bits cause choking hazards in pigs. Also pigs need one cup of veggies per day usually divided into 2 different feedings. They need an unlimited supply of grass hay. If your pig is younger than 6 months or is indeed pregnant, then she needs alfalfa hay.

Watch your pig and make sure she is eating pellets, hay and drinking water. If she isn't then you want to find an exotics vet and take her in for a check up. Also if she isn't eating on her own you will need to feed her a pellet mash and syringe water into her so she doesn't get dehydrated.

Congrats on your new family member
I remember when I first go my guinea pig. I was watching him for 2-3 hours, then when he finally came out of his little house I accidently moved my elbow and he ran straight back to his house and didn't come out the rest of the night.

Ly&Pigs said:
I hope your grade A guinea food is a plain pellet and not mixed with nuts, seeds and pieces of dried veggies or other crap. Nuts, seeds and dried bits cause choking hazards in pigs. Also pigs need one cup of veggies per day usually divided into 2 different feedings. They need an unlimited supply of grass hay. If your pig is younger than 6 months or is indeed pregnant, then she needs alfalfa hay.

Watch your pig and make sure she is eating pellets, hay and drinking water. If she isn't then you want to find an exotics vet and take her in for a check up. Also if she isn't eating on her own you will need to feed her a pellet mash and syringe water into her so she doesn't get dehydrated.

Hello, I am fairly new to your site. I do love all the info. I have a question. I had 2 piggies and one died. He was old. His buddy, Legalas, was so lonely and heartbroken, calling for him my daughter got me another gp. He is young and small. I feed unlimited timothy hay, but in your post you said a young pig needs alfalfa hay. Will it hurt my Legalas to have alfalfa or my young guy, Peppi, to have just timothy hay? Thank you

You can give them half and half of timothy and alfalfa until Peppi is six months old. After that just timothy is fine.

cangirl said:
You can give them half and half of timothy and alfalfa until Peppi is six months old. After that just timothy is fine.

Thank you so much. I will do just that. I'm not very good at this posting yet, but I do love my piggies!

I had no idea piggies were so much fun. We got our boys almost a month ago and they have definitely made themselves part of the family.

cangirl said:
I had no idea piggies were so much fun. We got our boys almost a month ago and they have definitely made themselves part of the family.

Piggies are fun and adorable. I am still learning so much from this site. I started using fleece from this site's info on bedding. I and my pigs love it. My daughter and I have quite a few animals. All rescued. She has rats. I have piggies. We have a rat and bunny rescue in Phenoix but no piggie rescues. I look on petfinder all the time, but nothing for Arizona. I am very glad you have gotten into the world of piggies. They are awesome.

Suzi, you can type your text into the same posting as the quotation. :)

And congrats to getting your new pig, Darkness!

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Darkness, Congradulations on your new pig. I just got a new little guy myself. His name is Peppi and he is adorable. He is eating fine thanks to his friend Legalas, who can never get enough veggies. Legalas was so glad to have a friend again after losing his bud to old age. He just purred and purred. ( Such a wonderful sound). Do you have other piggies?What is your new pigs name? Enjoy!

Aww I think my my pig is purring. its so cute. i have to get it come veggies today what kind should I get?

Romaine Lettuce, Red and green pepper, endive, cilantro, parlsey

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.