Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

I just adopted a new female.....

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
So I made arrangements to rehome a female that belonged to a girl I knew. I told her I'd take her, made arrangements and then, she says, Oh by the way, she's pregnant. :confused: Ok. I tell her that I'll take her anyway, 'cause I'm ok with that. It's not ideal, but she's in a tiny cage and obviously being left with a boy unsupervised half the time. So I get her home today and I honestly have no idea if she's pregnant or not. She looks pregnant. (This is my first potential pregnancy, since I only have sows so from the pictures and things I've found online she kind of looks pregnant) But I can't feel any babies ( I haven't been rough with her, I've been trying to be gentle when I've picked her up and moved her into her cage from the pet carrier I brought her home in). Regardless of whether or not she's pregnant, she's definitely better off with me.:) Right now she is in a tiny little cage, I'm buying a new shower curtain and some grids the day after tomorrow to get her into a new 2x4 maybe 2x5. I'm ordering coroplast that should be here next week. I have some smaller pieces of coroplast that I'm going to use to baby proof the grids just in case she is pregnant. She's never had her nails trimmed :sad:and she had cheap alfalfa pellets, alfalfa hay, 2 baby carrots and half an oxidized apple in her cage when I got her. Going to buy some fleece tomorrow. Any other suggestions guys? This is my first maybe litter, so I'm not sure how to proceed. I do have a vet on standby that specializes in small animals, but if I take her, I can't afford to upgrade her cage for a couple weeks :eek:hmy: and they told me that they thought she was due within the next week. I really don't want to have her and a litter in such a small cage (it's about the size of a 1x2:mad: area and I want her out of it ASAP. Suggestions, advice, help in general would be awesome. What's more important,:?: the vet (she's seems perfectly healthy by the way. Except her belly being a little big) or upgrading her cage? I'm going to keep doing research, but any advice or help would be outstanding right now!!! Thanks!

Attachments

0613122033.jpg 0613122032.jpg
Thanks for taking this piggy in! Sounds like you're off to a good start.

First, read www.guinealynx.info/labor.html and (broken link removed) -- those will get you started on what to expect.

Second, she needs extra calcium, which you can give her by supplementing her timothy hay with alfalfa, or by giving her extra parsley, or some high-vitamin vegetables, which you can find on this list: https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/.

Third, she needs unlimited long strand grass hay (timothy, orchard, meadow, blue grass, brome) all the time. She needs about a cup of veggies per day, and about 1/4 cup of alfalfa pellets. She'll eat those, along with her pups, for several months after they're born, then you should cut them all back to 1/8 cup of timothy pellets per day.

I'd suggest not committing yourself to a specific cage layout when you cut your fleece. Most new pig owners go on an absolute orgy of cage remodeling, and change shapes very frequently at first. You need to have a final plan in mind before cutting your fleece. Just fold it for now, and you can clip it to the sides of the cage in case she turns out to be a burrower.

If you have other pigs, then keep her quarantined for a full three weeks to make sure she doesn't have any diseases to pass on to the ones you've got.

Keep us posted on how she does.

Will do!

I do have 2 other sows, they are in another room in a 2x5 with a 1x2 kitchen extension built on. I have no intention of adding her in with them because they are bonded pair that are about 3 years old. She is 8 months old (PS this is her second litter, she had no issues with the first, so she should be fine) and since the babies will be, well, babies, I don't want to create more problems than I solve.

I don't know how they'd do with her or her babies, so my plan is too keep her and her babies in another room until they're weaned, then I'll move her and any female babies into a temporary cage next to Tasha and Lola. If all goes well, I'll end up moving them in together.

I don't plan to cut the fleece, because if she has male babies, I'll have to build another cage for them so they're out of her cage by the time they're 3 weeks old, so I have no idea what the final products will look like. But that's solid advice, thank you!

I appreciate the advice on nutrition! I will get the alfalfa pellets and some alfalfa hay tomorrow when I go get the fleece. I gave her some red leaf lettuce today and she was so amazed she ate it all in one sitting (it was only about 1/2 cup, so I'll give her more within the next hour)

I have been searching the forums for the last couple of hours (I just made arrangements to get her last night and just found out that she was pregnant about 12:30 AM) so I've seen the links that you posted, been searching everywhere online for information and I also have a guinea pig care book that I've been re-reading the pregnancy/reproduction section in. I'm going to continue to study up and do my best to make sure that she ends up with the best home possible.

The more information I find, the more I'm certain that putting her in a new cage is more important than trying to confirm her pregnancy. If she is having babies, she'll need more space, if she isn't then she'll appreciate more space anyhow. I'm going to assume that she is, since she's had a litter before with the people I got her from and they seem pretty certain that she's pregnant. They probably know better than I do. Keep the information coming guys. I'd rather hear the same thing 20 times than I would not get any feed back! Thanks again!

Just a thought, if you can't SEE the babies moving in her belly and you can't feel them, I'm guessing it'll take more than the babies to get here. Good luck!

Schavarry, I'm not sure what you mean?

Schavarry, I'm not sure what you mean?

Sorry I wasn't clear in my last post -

When a guinea pig gets close to delivery, you can typically see the babies kicking inside of her and feel them. If she isn't at that point yet I think you have more than a week before the babies get here. I haven't heard of a single pregnancy where the owner didn't see/feel the babies moving inside before the mother gave birth. Make sense?

Holy Wow. The more I read about guinea pig pregnancies, the more terrified I become. I sincerely hope that she is not pregnant, because I will be utterly heartbroken if anything happens to her or the babies! How in the world do people just carelessly breed guinea pigs! What if they're stillborn? What if she's roan and I just can't tell?! I am so worried for her. I hope she's not pregnant, and if she is, please don't let anything go wrong!

Yes! Thank you! I thought that maybe that's what you meant, but I just wanted to make sure! I have another female that is pear shaped and has absolutely no chance of being pregnant, so I'm hoping that they were wrong and she's just gaining weight. She's in a very small cage and has been eating alfalfa hay/pellets her whole life, so maybe I'll get lucky and she's just getting chubby. The more I read about pregnant piggies, the more scared it makes me! :eek:hmy:

Ok, I have her in a new 2x3 that I built today. She's not popcorning or anything, but she already seems much more relaxed. I have a rack of Timothy hay, a plate of alfalfa hay and a mixture of alfalfa/timothy pellets. I bought enough fleece that it can extend all the way up the sides of the cage, will the babies chew through it? Or will they not escape because they can't see anything else? This is my first time with baby proofing, so any advice would be awesome! If I still need to put up coroplast or cardboard (right now I don't have coroplast for the 2x3, I would like to see if she's actually pregnant before I do that. If she's not and she's not showing any signs of illness in 3 weeks, I'd like to try to put her in my 2x5 with my other girls so I only have a shower curtain under the grids) how high do the sides need to be? Do they need to be as tall as the grids? Or 6 inches, 8 inches? Just a ball park would be good. Thanks guys!

Here are a couple of new pictures of her. Still can't tell if she's just large from being in a tiny cage and only being fed alfalfa or if she's pregnant. My big piggie (Tasha) is also kind of pear shaped, but you can definitely feel her legs on either side of her tummy. It feels kind of like Coal's tummy is wider than her hips. Any idea's guys? [GuineaPigCages.com] I just adopted a new female.....[GuineaPigCages.com] I just adopted a new female.....

And this is her new 2x3. Hoping that this will do for now. :) The Hello Kitty fleece was my daughter's idea. But I have to admit that I kinda like it. :) [GuineaPigCages.com] I just adopted a new female.....

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eye-poppi It kicked me! Ok. Now I am sure that she is pregnant. I have felt movement in her belly before, but this time I put my hand on her side for a minute and it gently kicked outward. It was small but it was definitely a kick out. So, I have her in a pet carrier for this moment, while my boyfriend cuts cardboard and the little pieces of coroplast that I have left to baby proof her cage. I found a great video online from a girl that runs a rescue and she gave instructions on how to baby proof, so I'm putting cardboard and coroplast over the whole 14 inches of the grids. I won't be able to see in there as well, but I'm much more concerned about her/their safety than I am about whether or not I can see her without having to work for it. She's a little stressed out, but this is the last time I'm going to mess with her for a while and I'm going to make sure that has the whole back 1x2 of her 2x3 dark and quiet. I'm hoping that I'm doing all of this right. If you read through the posts and have any other opinions/suggestions please feel free to speak up. From what I've read, I'm about 2-3 weeks away from delivery, because this is the first time I've felt anything, and I certainly haven't seen any movement. Of course, I could be completely wrong and she might just have one or two pups (hence the reason for the emergency baby proofing). In her first litter, I was told that she had 3. Any idea if previous litter can be an indication of how many there will be this time? I know it was the same momma and the same daddy both times. Just wondering. I know that some of these questions might sound pointless, but I am completely terrified of breeding my animals. I never intended to do it. But this little girl NEEDED a new home immediately, so I'm not sorry :) just scared. Any reassurances or advice would be awesome!

Well, since I'm not getting any advice or support, I was going to just write a blog about my situation and hope that someone would read it. But I can't, because I'm only a cavy newbie for the next 15 days or so. :rolleyes: Oh well. Hopefully, I'm not doing anything wrong. I guess we'll find out when the babies come. Keep your fingers crossed for healthy pups.

Ok, she survived! She survived very very well!!!!! We have 3 babies and they are all doing great. Momma is up and moving around, eating, drinking and doing great. Babies are doing well also. 3 of them and no visible issues. They are eating some lettuce, nursing, playing and looking great. Here's a picture of all of them. Right now I'm calling them Thing 1, Thing 2 and Thing 3. Names are subject to change once I sex them properly and everything.

[GuineaPigCages.com] I just adopted a new female.....

So glad that everything went well! What adorable babies! :D

awww how cute they are! :) Glad everything went well!

I did not get to see them being born. I checked on Coal at 3 am and she was fine, but no babies. Then my daughter woke me up at about 9am and said, MOM! Coal had babies! lol It was kinda cool. I couldn't be more pleased that things went well. I've been so worried about her. It seems like one of the babies is eating more and getting more attention from mom than the other two. I'm going to go get a scale from the store tomorrow (I was planning to buy one this weekend, but I was hoping that I had that long before they were born). My kids have latched right on to them.:love: I think that I have 2 boys and 1 girl, but I'm going to have check when they're a little bit older, 'cause it's really hard to tell right now. But, they're seeming very healthy and are very sweet. I'm just hoping that they stay that way. And I plan for these to be the only babies that I ever have in my house, 'cause this was just about as stressful as I can stand! :eek:ptimist:

By the way, their dad is long haired, can anyone tell me if there is a possibility that they will end up long haired? Or would they be already?

They may end up being long haired. They arent born with the long hair but it will grow as they get longer if they are long haired

I did not get to see them being born. I checked on Coal at 3 am and she was fine, but no babies. Then my daughter woke me up at about 9am and said, MOM! Coal had babies! lol It was kinda cool. I couldn't be more pleased that things went well. I've been so worried about her. It seems like one of the babies is eating more and getting more attention from mom than the other two. I'm going to go get a scale from the store tomorrow (I was planning to buy one this weekend, but I was hoping that I had that long before they were born). My kids have latched right on to them.:love: I think that I have 2 boys and 1 girl, but I'm going to have check when they're a little bit older, 'cause it's really hard to tell right now. But, they're seeming very healthy and are very sweet. I'm just hoping that they stay that way. And I plan for these to be the only babies that I ever have in my house, 'cause this was just about as stressful as I can stand! :eek:ptimist:

I am in the same boat. I have a possible pregnant pig as well. I have been stressing out for weeks now and even though she is getting bigger and I feel movement there are still no babies. Today is day 72 (since I got her) and nothing....even though I know I feel babies and hear chattering with my stethoscope. Everyone keeps saying she will have them when she thinks she is alone but the rub is that there is ALWAYS someone home and up at various times of the day and night.

They are so cute though and I am glad they are healthy and mom is healthy!! Good Luck!

I know how you feel. Don't worry, she'll have them when she's ready and not one second before. And I wouldn't take the 72 day thing to seriously, because the way I understand it, no guinea pig actually goes by that guideline. Their people do, but the way I understand it, the cavies don't listen. :) It'll be ok. And momma will be fine. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.