Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding I have two males and I'm about to put them together... HELP!

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
So does the humping ever stop? Tank doesn't seem to happy by it.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Mine stopped humping after the first week. I don't know what is a "normal" amount of humping though. Mine were both adults as well.

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
Gunner is still making that rumble sound and he won't eat with Tank...

Oh good Lord. Such a brat.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
They will work it out eventually. Silly piggies!

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
How's it going?

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
They are both sitting in the corner not making any noise at all. It's been about an hour so i'm leaving them in the kitchen alone for a couple more hours.

I'm only on the couch 10 feet away so if something goes down, i'm there in 3 seconds.
I'm uploading pictures right now :)

PIGGYandCHILLI

Cavy Slave
try not to out them in the same cage immediately. try to introduce them in a bathtub or somewhere before you put them in the cage. you can also make them share the same food e.g. you holding one carrot and let them ear it together, to make them know each other. most of the time adults are fine with smaller ones (own experience) but i'm not sure about yours. best wishes:)

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
@PIGGYandCHILLI- Should i put them in the same cage tonight after they've been civil in the kitchen for a few hours or keep them separate tonight and do the kitchen thing again? Or would that backfire and they'll have to reintroduce again tomorrow?

They're both just chilling in the kitchen corner not making any noise or moving.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
[MENTION=19556]cupcake.ninja[/MENTION], read the introductions information at Guinea Pigs Social Life.

Every time you separate them and reintroduce them, they'll go through the whole dominance ritual again. Unless one of them is injuring the other, you should let them be.

If the cage is clean and has nothing in it that smells like either pig, you can put them in the cage after things have calmed down wherever you introduced them. Just have a dustpan and a towel handy in case things go out of whack.

Do not try to make them share the same food -- it will accomplish nothing, and will only stress them out. When you do feed them, feed them in two places, have two pellet dishes, two water bottles, two or three hideys (none with only one entrance/exit).

It sounds to me like things are actually going well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

PIGGYandCHILLI

Cavy Slave
as long as they are not fighting, they should be fine in the same cage. just have a regular check to see whether everything is fine:)

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
Here are piggies being civil and eating hay. YAY!

DSC02190.jpg

PIGGYandCHILLI

Cavy Slave
that's good! the younger one looks so cute ^^

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Awww being next to each other with no problem is a good sign! The little one (what I can see of him LOL) looks like the lone ranger with a mask over his eyes! LOL

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
My husband picked Tank because he was getting picked on and the black ear really got him. It was sweet.

He is SOOO soft! I couldn't believe it! Gunner is shiny and smooth, but Tank feels like a baby's butt. I just want to squeeze his little body into a fluffy ball!!!!

So how long until i put them into the cage? They've been loving each other in the kitchen for 2 hours. I wanna get Tank settled in before bed time.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Have you completely cleaned out and disinfected the cage so that there are no piggy smells? If not, you should do so before putting the boys together. If so, 2 hours with no issues sounds like a successful intro to me. I would put them into the clean cage but keep a close eye. Make sure there are two of almost everything and the hideys have more than one escape route in case one starts to block the entrance.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Go ahead and try it and see. I'd spread out little bits of the favorite foods around the cage, just as distractions. May not help, but it won't hurt.

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
The cage is clean and ready.

There are 2 water bottles, 3 bowls, 4 hidey holes, and a giant 2-story cage to keep the peace.

I'm gonna put them into the cage...

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
They are so cute together! I hope everythign went well with putting them into the cage! =D

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
They were eating out the same bowl. Gunner stole the carrot from Tank, but so far, they're co-habitating without too much face-eating.

Brian is trying out the vitamin C drops in the water. Any bets on whether or not they hate it??

Glad the kitchen ordeal is over. I hope they stay friendly. Gunner started the rumbling again.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
You don't need (and shouldn't use) vitamin c drops in the water. It dilutes in the light and only makes the water taste funny, probably making the pigs not want to drink it. They get vit c from the foods they eat. Vit c drops are not necessary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.