Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding I have two males and I'm about to put them together... HELP!

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
I'm absolutely terrified that my 4 month old male will eat my 6 week old baby.
I've got them in cages next to each other so can sniff each other out and Gunner (my adult) is squeaking like it's dinner time.

Someone please talk me through this. I've read the socializing page, but i'm seriously scared. It's so dumb because i know Gunner was lonely, but Tank (deh baybay) is soooo small :(

I got him from a Humane Society adoption that was at our local pet store and the dumb girl who works there was adamant that Gunner would attack Tank. I have read that a lot of males will take the baby in as their own and love them, but this woman freaked me out and now i'm second guessing putting them in the same cage.

The cage is large enough for 3 full-grown GPs (see my album), so i'm going to put them in the kitchen and watch them for an hour, i think... or should i just let the cages sit next to each other for a few more hours until they're comfortable with each other's presence?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Have you quarantined the new pig?

Assuming so, introducing them on a neutral territory and then putting them in a completely cleaned cage is the way to do it. Guinea pigs are generally peace-loving creatures and generally give ample warning (teeth chattering, yawning, etc) before an outright attack. And it's exceedingly unlikely that one will eat another. At least, that's been my experience.

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
They've been in separate rooms and it's the first day of buddy-buddy time.

*sigh heavily*

It must be done. Luckily, my vet is in today and only 3 miles away. Onward to the piggie loving.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Don't forget to baby proof your cage! You don't want a tiny baby getting stuck in the bars!

PickyPiggy

Cavy Slave
I know your afraid to do it. My guinea pigs still hate eachother. Sometimes there's little or nothing you can do. Good luck!

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
The cage uses the tiny grids so he can't squeeze through and the bottom is lined in coroplast. He's not too too small. He's just smaller than Gunner.

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
Thanks PickyPiggy, I really hope they like each other.

If i have to readjust the cage to be two separate cages, i'll be sad. It's so big and fun to run through.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The pictures on your profile show that your cage has 8x8 grid holes, not 9x9, so a baby could potentially get stuck and your older pig could also get his head stuck.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
You're cage does look like a lot of fun! When I introduced Eddy to Ben they had very little issues. A bunch of purring, some humping, and one fight (no blood) but they got over it and have been pretty good roommates since. I wouldn't say they are in love with each other but they seem to like each other well enough.

FuryanGoddess

Cavy Slave
I'm dealing w/ the same thing right now, Cupcake, and they are starting to get along better...

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't be scared. I have a small guinea pig who is 1 years old and a 3 year old guinea pig that is a lot bigger and I was sure Thunder (The bigger one) would just bring him down in a few seconds but in the end the smaller guinea pig (Brownie) was the much more dominant one and wouldn't stop harassing the poor fellow. Also, hating to bring this up, I ended up separating them (Thunder had many blood scabs on his poor back!) but hopefully one day I will be successful in doing it. But for right now, all is at peace and they are happy :) But I honestly wouldn't worry at all about the size of them. That doesn't have a thing to do with the way they get along with each other.

Just because my guinea pigs didn't get along doesn't mean yours aren't going to get along either. I know of a lot more boars that have been successfully bonded than not so don't feel discouraged at all.

Don't listen to people who work at pet-shops. They are very often uneducated and just assume things when people ask them questions. Yes, It would be more logical that the bigger one would hurt the little one but that is definitely not the case.

I put their cages next to each other for a week and then did the intro but it's really your own preference. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. But other people may have different opinions...
Yes, an hour is a good time to do the intro. And just make sure the cage has been freshly cleaned out before putting them in.

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
so far it sounds like purring... Gunner is humping, and the little one is trying to escape, but they're just following each other around now. and Gunner is licking his butt?? How long does the humping go on? I feel bad for baby Tank. lol.

The grid holes i'll cover with fleece until i can get some new grids to make sure the don't get hurt :)

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Mine humped and rumbled a lot on day one then pretty often for a week. Now they only rumble if they want the same hidey house or lettuce piece.

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
update...
Tank is squeaking really loud whenever Gunner gets on him, but then he goes and chases Gunner down so i'm guessing those aren't squeaks of pain??

And the rumbling sounds like teeth chatter but maybe not... GAH! English-speaking piggies would be so much easier!

I sound like a new paranoid parent... :eek:ptimist:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I have nothing to add other than I wanted to wish you some good luck:) and that I would be thinking about you and your piggies on their upcoming big event ! Most piggies learn to get along, it's usually "us"- the stumbling Piggie Parents :crazy:, that get in the way of this process by interfering too early, too quickly.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
GAH! English-speaking piggies would be so much easier!

:eek:ptimist:

You have NO IDEA, how many times, I have secretly wished for that very same thing ! Oh man, do I WISH I was a Dr. Mrs. Little ! I HEAR your frustration on that one !! lol

Last edited:

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
Alright so Gunner started yawning.

He does it at night when he's agitated at me. He's not yawning in Tank's direction, he's yawning at me.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Oh yes teeth chattering. I heard a lot of that too the first day. Did you try to give them some veggies? After mine started acting like they had enough I gave them some veggies to share and was able to keep floor time going for awhile longer.

cupcake.ninja

Cavy Slave
I just put hay down and a bit of carrot and alfalfa treat.

They're doing alright right now. Gunner won't eat the hay. He's in a corner pouting. Silly pig.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Lol. How cute! He will get over himself eventually.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.