Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I have some little sad thoughts

GuineaPigLady_

Cavy Slave
I lose my two guinea pigs six months ago, I had them for about four years. One of them got sick and died from the stress of the operation. The other, my little girl, died a few weeks later for a heart attack. Both died next to me, under my care, I did what I could and looked for the best veterinarians, but they couldn't survive. They had a huge cage and many accessories, they were my entire life. These are memories, but how to cope with this and stand to look at a huge and empty cage? Now I got Olive, who has just a month old, she brings happiness to my days, but I can not help thinking that some day she will leave me too, end his life and another empty cage...
I think this is temporary, it is because I still miss them a lot, and they pass away too fast, about the same time.
Many people do not understand how we feel about our pets, but I think you understand me and that is why I'm telling this.

Heres a picture of my first babies, and from Olive.
Malteada y Juan Carlos: Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
And Olive: Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for the space, it means a lot to me.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your two babies, they really were gorgeous! Olive is also a beautiful young pig and I'm sure he'll bring you a lot of happiness still.

I know that losing a pet is hard, try to think of all the happy moments they gave you and all the good times you had with them, they would want you to remember them that way :)

I am so sorry for the loss of your two piggies. It is heartbreaking to lose those we love.
I am thankful you now have Olive. She is beautiful and will give your great pleasure.
Unfortunatly all beings have to die. Try to dwell on the good things, your Olive. Enjoy her now while you have her. Your good memories of your other girls. We too as piggie lovers are here for you also. We love sharing all things piggie and of course pictures.
Hang in there it will get better.

i dont want to say you will get over it. but it should get easier with time. keep your head up

I found myself crying this morning because I had to euthanize my dog 3 weeks ago. Time does make it better, but I'll always remember him. I just try to cherish my pets every day, because you never know when the last day will come. I drop everything if someone needs me, or wants a cuddle. Maybe you can look into fostering or adopting more piggies, to honor Olive's memory. So many need homes, and it sounds like you're a good mom.

I'm so sorry for your loss, especially losing two piggies so close together after you'd cherished them for four years.

Even though it's hard now, I think you did the right thing by filling that empty cage. I only owned Mufasa for 15 days, but losing him still broke my heart. I immediately adopted Borat (and Amy soon after) because I couldn't stand the absence of life. They're not replacements for Mufasa, but as adoptions I view it as saving piggies in his honor and I'll give them the great life I planned to give him.

When you think about the future pain that's inevitable from losing the new pig someday, remember all the great times with your former piggies. Isn't all that joy worth the eventual sorrow? Would you trade all the great memories over those four years to spare yourself the hurt? And although your new piggy can't replace the others, their passing opened up a door that brought a new creature to love into your life. It's a sad ending, but also a new beginning.

It takes time to get over loss, so let yourself grieve. Also, let yourself enjoy your sweet new pet and the love and liveliness she's bringing to your life.

Thank you so much for your responses. I never had the courage to say this but I knew you will understand me. I always think of the good times we had, really. But they were so happy and healty piggies that i thought they could live more years... I never thought it would be so difficult to let them go. Olive will make me very happy, I know. But I think it will take me a few more months to feel better... I'll try to look with other point of view.
Petlovr, you touch my heart.
Thank you very much.

I have had, rescued, collected animals all of my life. I was given my first kitten at age 5. I was lucky my parents let me keep every stray I found and brought home. (for whatever reasons, mostly cats). Animals have found me all of my life. My father used to say "Suzi, you cant save them all." I would say "I know Daddy just the ones that come to me". Those that do I have for their lives.
I remember every one. I have loved every one. I believe I will see everyone of them again. I have a house at The Rainbow Bridge that has every one of them waiting for me.

GuineaPigLady, look online at the Rainbow Bridge.com. (my favorite is The Rainbow Bridge set to music ) It is beatiful and has helped me every time I lose one I love. May it bring you the comfort that you need at this time. And to know it isnt really over. Your pigs are waiting for you. May your heart be healed of its pain.

Last edited:
But they were so happy and healty piggies that i thought they could live more years... I never thought it would be so difficult to let them go.

I am grateful to you for this forum entry and especially for saying what so many of us think about -- that four, six, eight years isn't enough time to be with our little ones. I've spent much time yesterday and today crying a bit over some of the contributions by people who have pigs who just passed over the Bridge, both for your heartbreak and because it is so hard to get other people to see what treasures piggies and other animals are.

Ever since an incident with a "classroom pig" at my sons' school a few months ago, we started working on a local education campaign for small animals. Last week I overheard a person at my son's therapeutic riding class say to another parent that she should get a rabbit because they are good "starter" pets. So I begin to think it's too much to change anyone's mind.

But then I read your post, @GuineaPigLady_ , and jowasaurus about Alenko and Susislovespiggie and others -- your hearts are the opposite of the horrid "starter pet" mentality. It's so difficult to have a heart that big, it can fit so much sorrow, but it means you care more, and I know that is why you have so much love for the piggies.

I believe too that Malteada and Juan Carlos are playing with the other pigs (and cats and dogs and all furbabies) on the other side. The energy of an animal's love doesn't stop here, and doesn't diffuse into nothingness in the universe. You will see them again and they will be the first to recognize you.

I am grateful to you for this forum entry and especially for saying what so many of us think about -- that four, six, eight years isn't enough time to be with our little ones. I've spent much time yesterday and today crying a bit over some of the contributions by people who have pigs who just passed over the Bridge, both for your heartbreak and because it is so hard to get other people to see what treasures piggies and other animals are.

Ever since an incident with a "classroom pig" at my sons' school a few months ago, we started working on a local education campaign for small animals. Last week I overheard a person at my son's therapeutic riding class say to another parent that she should get a rabbit because they are good "starter" pets. So I begin to think it's too much to change anyone's mind.

But then I read your post, @GuineaPigLady_ , and jowasaurus about Alenko and Susislovespiggie and others -- your hearts are the opposite of the horrid "starter pet" mentality. It's so difficult to have a heart that big, it can fit so much sorrow, but it means you care more, and I know that is why you have so much love for the piggies.

I believe too that Malteada and Juan Carlos are playing with the other pigs (and cats and dogs and all furbabies) on the other side. The energy of an animal's love doesn't stop here, and doesn't diffuse into nothingness in the universe. You will see them again and they will be the first to recognize you.

Thank you, really, i didnt know that page, is really beautiful and it say beautiful things.
I have had rescued animals too, and gave in adoption mostly dogs from the street. Two or three I had died, and i was very sad, but I never had a conecction with them like with my piggies.

@Wildcavy, with your last words you made my cry :')
Thank you a lot.

I lose my two guinea pigs six months ago, I had them for about four years. One of them got sick and died from the stress of the operation. The other, my little girl, died a few weeks later for a heart attack. Both died next to me, under my care, I did what I could and looked for the best veterinarians, but they couldn't survive. They had a huge cage and many accessories, they were my entire life. These are memories, but how to cope with this and stand to look at a huge and empty cage? Now I got Olive, who has just a month old, she brings happiness to my days, but I can not help thinking that some day she will leave me too, end his life and another empty cage...
I think this is temporary, it is because I still miss them a lot, and they pass away too fast, about the same time.
Many people do not understand how we feel about our pets, but I think you understand me and that is why I'm telling this.

Heres a picture of my first babies, and from Olive.
Malteada y Juan Carlos: Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
And Olive: Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for the space, it means a lot to me.

olive is absolutely beautiful

Olive is very cute. And of course, the little one cannot and will never take the place of your two loved ones. Just think about how much you loved your piggies and try to think of how you wouldn't want them to suffer. If they are ill. Give your love to Olive now and always think of Malteada and Juan Carlos with lots of love as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.