Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I gotta stop! Paranoid mama is paranoid!

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
Any advice on ways to not worry yourself into an early grave? Ever since week one of having my piggies home I've been panicing that they have uri's. Even though i really have nothing to suggest they do. Eyes are clear, noses are clear, no wheezing, just as active as always and their appitites are great. So why do I insit on jumping at every sneeze? Every noise?

I've done this before. My oldest of two cats, when he was younger, couldnt exercise much, would pant like a dog, and other such weir symptoms. I was convinced he had heart worm and was waiting for him to hit 5yrs old so he'd either be ibviously fine or keel over. (he did go to the vet during that time but the vet neve had cause to worry) did he have heartworm? Of course not, i was just paranoid.

So how do I stop? :( I don't want to cause my piggies to get sick. And i just want to enjoy them. How do I ignore my panic yet still keep an eye out for symptoms?

I know how you feel. When I got my first two pigs I took them about 4 times to the vet in the first month! I was convinced they were sick, but they did sneeze quite a bit.

Their sneezing lessened dramatically after I started fluffing out the excess dust from their hay outside.

I think if they really are sneezing a bunch and you're worried, go to the vet. If they get a clean bill of health then you can start figuring out why they're sneezing a lot, or at least know how many sneezes are normal for them.This is just what *I'd* do.

My pigs still sneeze once or twice in a day when they're digging through hay. What kind of bedding do you use?

I also recommend getting a quality scale to record their weights weekly. https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html
it has really helped me feel more calm and secure when it comes to their health. I get paranoid and freaked out *very* easily. Guinea Lynx also has many other health related pages that are great for new pig owners. Look around! :eek:

Good advice! I know how you feel - we have two pigs and I have only ever heard one sneeze EVER and it freaked me out. I worried for a week that our piggy was ill...and of course, he is fine. :)

As far as I can tell they arn't sneezing abnormally often? Porcupine sneezed three times in about two hours time but hasnt done so again far as I know. Unfortunatly I work so they have time away from watchful eyes. And I did get a scale to help ease my mind! Also cause Porcupine is so much thinner feeling then Odair i was curious the diffrence between them. Is it true you should only weight them once a week?

I am going to try to get them to the vet Saturday anyway for a first vet visit. Doesnt hurt to make sure there arnt any other issues like heart defects or something. We had a kitten who was fine till she went south fast due to an unfixable heart defect.

Its not helping much that almost everyone I know is saying I'm being stupid. I even worry that the vet will say the same thing (i need to stop looking at stories on here! X.x not helping) at least i know there are like minded people here.

I read once that when you worry about what might be, you could end up living it twice. Once when you live it in your mind and then again if it ever does happen. It's such a waste of the short time we do have to spend it thinking about bad stuff that never even happens.

If your piggies ever did get sick you know what to do, get them to the vet. Worrying doesn't heal or protect anything, it only controls us. Spend your time enjoying your piggies!

I'm trying, I swear. I normally worry as it seems like the more i do the less bad stuff happens. But your right, in this case especially, I risk losing precious time with my growing babies.

And As if in an act of defiance Porcupine, the one who worries me most, is running in circles in their floortime pen. And popcorning like a nut. I can just hear him now "me, sick? Mama your crazy!" v.v i know my little piggy, i know. XD

LitaRutherford:

You sound just like me. I love my girls but worry constantly. I enjoy reading all about guinea pigs of this forum, but sometimes I think ignorance is bliss. Especially when I read that they hide their illnesses. So I look at my healthy, active girls and think what illness are you hiding? I realize it is stupid, but can't help myself. I am already worrying because we may go away next Spring for two weeks and who will take care of my two girls the way I do. That is ten months away!!!!!

So I totally empathize with you. I am wasting precious time I could be relaxing and enjoying the girls. Sometimes I wish I didn't get them because then I wouldn't worry about them. The thing we have to realize is if we are stressed we will pass it on to them. They are very sensitive creatures and pick up on our insecurities and then may get sick.

We need to brainstorm on ways to let it go. I have become more active and started getting out more with my husband and friends biking and hiking. Exercise and being outdoors really helps with stress. I have cut back on coffee so I am not so anxious. I have stopped looking in on them every 5 minutes to see if they are out eating. I try not to analyze every poop, only check them when I dump the litter tray. When you start to worry think of something positive. I sound so brave until the next soft poop or sneeze. Sometimes I wake up with a knot in my stomach until I have checked on them.

So you see you are not alone. I just don't have anything else in my life to worry about so the poor piggies get it all.

Just incase anyone was wondering, took them to the vet and are all good to go! So I feel much better. She said tht it did look like Porcupine had a mild uri that was just starting up, since his lungs sounded good but his eyes were getting crusties. She gave me meds, plus a bit extra just in case Odair shows signs. And he likes the meds! So i dont have to fight thank goodness! We'll see if he's all good in a week! And they were so awesome and nice about me being so worried! (plus it didnt cost me an arm and a leg! I love my vet)

Just incase anyone was wondering, took them to the vet and are all good to go! So I feel much better. She said tht it did look like Porcupine had a mild uri that was just starting up, since his lungs sounded good but his eyes were getting crusties. She gave me meds, plus a bit extra just in case Odair shows signs. And he likes the meds! So i dont have to fight thank goodness! We'll see if he's all good in a week! And they were so awesome and nice about me being so worried! (plus it didnt cost me an arm and a leg! I love my vet)

Glad things are looking up for your two piggies!! And an affordable vet visit is even better!! :)

I am glad you got good news from the vet. At least you can relax knowing you have done your best for your piggies. I hope the medication works and Porcupine will be good as new soon. I am glad he likes the meds and you don't have to fight him to take them.

Thanks! I also asked about the weight diffrence (a whole 100 grams!) between the two and she said porcupine, my skinny butt, didnt feel to thin so as long as he doesnt start to lose weight i shouldnt worry. And a few other minor questions. I'm glad there guinea pig vet was there.

it proves you are like a real mommy worrying about them in their cribs a little sneeze and if they are comfortable. the other day i saw a bump on the bottom of my female guinea pig so i went online to look at a female guinea pigs anatomy and felt like bozo the clown to find out it is just her breast growing

You need to research ways to calm your anxiety. Diet-limiting sugar and caffeine, and exercise are excellent ways to help with anxiety. Going to the vet for a "well" visit was also a good idea, and since you caught the URI early, hopefully it will clear up quickly. Otherwise, just remind yourself that there are literally millions of Guinea pigs in the world, and you are reading about the dozen or so that are sick RIGHT NOW when you are here. So statistics suggest that you and your pigs will fall into the majority of owners with healthy animals. Reading about other peoples problems is a good education, and I've caught some problems I wouldn't have even noticed if it hadn't been for reading all the stories here. I have an anxiety problem, too, so I just keep trying to "talk myself down", and realize my healthcare background is helpful, and I try not to let myself get paranoid. I think with time, you'll relax more. Good luck!

I am very much a mama. I don't think I will ever have kids. i don't know i my poor heart could take it! haha. I have had moments where I think I feel a growth only to realize its their knee bone or some such small hard bone area. Then I feel silly till it happens again. XD

Yeah, I think now that I've talked to a vet its easier to calm myself down. I don't get nearly as hyped up about my dog or cats but I have experience working in a vets office that dealt with dogs and cats, so I know key things to look for for a sick animal. But the office I worked at never did small animals (wouldn't have trusted the vet with them anyway). But I am looking into calming techniques for those panicky flare ups. And I will hope it will ease with experience and time. Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.