Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay I found a local supplier! OHIO residents, read this!!

aislynn99

Cavy Slave
My hours upon hours of seemingly fruitless Craigslist Farm and Garden searching has finally paid off! I finally got a call back from a very nice man in the Dover/Sherrotsville area (near Sugarcreek) who runs three farms and has 50# bales of pure grass hay for only $5 a bale! Second cutting! He will even deliver them for just a dollar more per bale, and he delivers all over the US. As I'm only getting one (first to make sure it's quality and they like it, second because I really can't store more than one) I didn't want to make him drive up, so I'm dragging my mom on a nice weekend drive to Amish country to pick up a bale this Saturday. I'm so excited! I hope it works out and they hay is fresh and good quality. I know at least two of you aren't too far from me (Kent and closer to Columbus, maybe?), so if this works out, he assures me he has hay all year long and I'd be happy to put you in contact with him, or even get a bale for you and bring it to either the North Canton or Cleveland area for you to pick up. I will post photos on Saturday night when I get back, and let you know how the boys like it.

WOOHOO!! :: preemptive happy dance of joy :: :D

P.S. I can probably fit two bales in my hatchback if anyone else local to me is interested in trying one. For $5, I figure it's worth a shot :)

Awesome, please do let me know how the hay is. As of right now, I don't have the space for a bale of hay (no garage or shed) but my family is looking to moving soon. Hopefully in the future I can take advantage of this! My girls would be happier, because according to my mom I am "anal" about them wasting hay lol.

I just picked it up and it looks beautiful! I got two bales, two different cuttings to see which they prefer. One is definitely finer and softer than the other, but both are dry and fragrant and I can't wait to get it home and let the boys dive in :) I wish I could post a photo from my phone but it won't let me. Oh, and they are definitely not 50# bales, but still are huge compared to pet store bags.

I wished I lived in Ohio!

I found a local supplier! OHIO residents, read this!!
Ok, here are the bales in my hatchback. The one on the left is smaller (25#), as you can see, and has a much softer and less thick stalk than the larger bale on the right (39#), which is still softer and less thick than my former Kaytee hay. My car smelled delicious, and that helped make up for several bouts of sneezing.
I found a local supplier! OHIO residents, read this!!
Sample time! Next to the wall is Squishy and the finer, darker cut. Towards the camera is Bogart and the rougher cut. Both enjoyed each one equally, from what I could tell.

SUCCESS!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.