Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming I found a black spot on my piggie’s nail/nail skin.

Chanfle_

Cavy Gazer
This is my first guinea pig and I have only had him for a couple of months. I do feed him pellets and romaine lettuce (along with the occasional fruit/snack) and he has his own water bottle. Yesterday I cut his nails for the fiat time. Everything went smoothly and I didn’t bite the quick nor notice the black spot. But today when I was looking at his nails, I noticed a black spot near the nail skin. None of the other nails have a black spot. I don’t know what the spot could be and I didn’t notice it before, is this normal or does my piggie have some sort of infection?
I found a black spot on my piggie’s nail/nail skin.I found a black spot on my piggie’s nail/nail skin.

It looks like a small blood blister to me, or a wart. I'd watch it carefully for a few days, and see a vet if there are any changes.

But you do know, I hope, that romaine has been taken totally off the market because of multiple human deaths. It also may contribute to excess urinary calcium in some pigs. Red or green leaf lettuces are better choices.

Thank you, I’ll keep an eye on it and see the vet if anything happens.

Also, I will try red/green leaf lettuce, thanks for the heads up! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.