Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I, for one, am still is resisting my new, cavy overlord

CLGage

Cavy Slave
Last year my daughter talked my mother into buying her a hamster. Imagine my surprise when she returned with a GP. I told her that she was responsible for caring for him, though I looked up whatever info I could to help out. Soon, however, my daughter decided she wanted to live with her mother, and since there are several cats and little responsibility there, I decided that the rodent was to stay here.

I'm still not sure if she ever actually settled on a name, it seemed to change daily, so my nick name for him, Critter, has since become his actual name. Since we are stretching our budget to make sure he is well cared for, he is a lone cavy. To help make sure he didn't get lonely, we moved him to a new cage in the main room where we spend most of our time, and now are subject to his every whim, which is pretty much food and attention (which does not include holding... ever... making cage cleaning time interesting). Of course, one of the bigger downsides to this is if either myself or my fiance go into the kitchen and start rustling anything that sounds remotely like a produce bag, he goes nuts thinking it's meal time. Needless to say, he has become a member of the family, and has become my little buddy.

First, welcome to the forum!

Aww, no holding? That cavy needs some love! He also needs some floor time for exercise. My Hawkeye and Radar do the exact same thing if any kind of bag rustles near them. I have endless fun snuggling and building/sewing new things for them. They really are a bundle of joy with different personalities all around. My Hawk is the lazy bones, and Radar loves to drive him crazy being only a little over a month or so old.

So glad you're doing what you can for Critter. If you work with him slowly, he will get used to your hands in the cage and eventually maybe your lap!

Post some pigtures soon!

ETA: Love the thread title, by the way. Made me laugh!

Last edited:
once you start holding him you will fall in love and try to hold him every time you pass the cage good luck and have fun

I try to hold him, but he really doesn't like it. When I reach into the catch he snuggles up against me and loves his attention. Any time I try to get him out he runs any time I start to grab him. I have even tried gradually holding him, as in I would put my hands more and more around him while giving him attention, but as soon as there is pressure enough to hold him he runs. When I do manage to get him, he just can't wait to get back in the cage. I do need to set up some kind of exercise area, but he loves running laps in his cage so he is getting plenty, just needs to get used to exploring new areas.

Personally I think his dislike of being held is because when he first came home my daughter was very Elmyra with him, turning him off of holding. I am hoping when we are able to get him a cagemate that he will get jealous of the other getting more attention from being held, and decide to try it out again.

I try to hold him, but he really doesn't like it. When I reach into the catch he snuggles up against me and loves his attention. Any time I try to get him out he runs any time I start to grab him. I have even tried gradually holding him, as in I would put my hands more and more around him while giving him attention, but as soon as there is pressure enough to hold him he runs. When I do manage to get him, he just can't wait to get back in the cage. I do need to set up some kind of exercise area, but he loves running laps in his cage so he is getting plenty, just needs to get used to exploring new areas.

Personally I think his dislike of being held is because when he first came home my daughter was very Elmyra with him, turning him off of holding. I am hoping when we are able to get him a cagemate that he will get jealous of the other getting more attention from being held, and decide to try it out again.
good luck

Welcome to the forum! It's impossible to resist those little furry overlords. I only have my first guinea pig, Mufasa, for 15 days (came from a pet store and had a URI), but in that time my husband and I got so attached to him that we cried like babies when he died.

It sounds like Critter has you very well trained. Hopefully over time he'll start to like the holding, although some piggies never seem to like it. I'm lucky that both of mine enjoy lap time, although my Abby Amy gets cranky at times. She's definitely the top overlord of the house, and I've learned to give in to her demands.

Do you have any pigtures of Critter? I'd love to see him!

Critter sounds adorable! Guinea Pigs are prey animals, so naturally when they feel they are being grabbed they run. The only way to get a guinea pig used to being held is to hold them. Since I handle mine a lot they don't really care that much anymore and just let me pick them up. I suggest you pick him up with a towel and put her in a shoe box on your lap, then just scoop under him and hold him in your hands. Then you can put the towel on your lap and pet him, make sure to feed veggies so he associates being picked up with food!

Congratulations on being recently assimilated into the cavy world. Good luck with the whole resistance thing.:D

Our five piggies each have different tolerances to being held. Jumble, an abyssinian, enjoys it for exactly 8 minutes. Then she gives you a warning lick, which means it is time to get down. I think "overlord" is a very good word for her, too! Jumble owns me.

Picckalo, one of our boars, loves to be held but only really by my husband. He tolerates me.

Triton and Oink, a bonded pair, only like to be held if you hold them together. Oink gets extremely anxious without Triton, which is funny because when they are together she bullies him around like they're an old married couple. She bullies, he growls a little, then they groom each other. Triton does not like more than one person looking at him at once.

Grace is our newest and is still really shy. She was dropped on her head by a 5-year-old and is missing an eye as a result, but with my husband, adult daughter, and I, she is remarkably okay with being held.

I think some pigs just only like being held for a few minutes. Picckalo will stay for an hour or more on my husband's chest or lap, especially if he is playing Skyrim.

Let me join in with the others wheeking for pictures of Critter!lol

I'll try to work on doing this. I also have treats that he enjoys, so I'll use those as well.

Here is Critter on his hidey box eating dinner
[GuineaPigCages.com] I, for one, am still is resisting my new, cavy overlord
and Critter after falling out of the cage into the catch tray
[GuineaPigCages.com] I, for one, am still is resisting my new, cavy overlord

He is adorable! I love his colors, especially the little white thumbprint on the back of his head.

he's adorable ! so cute. I'm glad you decided to look after Critter. So many people don't care, and it's great that you kept him back with you. He will get used to you, and the only way to really get them out is to gently hold them and lift them up, even if they resist. Eventually they will get used to it.

What a handsome boy! Good luck with him :)

I've been trying to pick him up, but he runs straight to his hidey as soon as I get my hands even close to getting him, and I have a strict rule about chasing him into there. I consider it his safe spot so that if he ever feels threatened, he can go there.

I've been trying to pick him up, but he runs straight to his hidey as soon as I get my hands even close to getting him, and I have a strict rule about chasing him into there. I consider it his safe spot so that if he ever feels threatened, he can go there.
that is very considerate of you :)

Just keep trying, he will come around! It took almost 2 months for my Poppy to let me pick him up with little struggle!

He is such a cutie!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.