Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior I don't know?

cdlourie

Cavy Slave
So, I adopted two girls, Nicci and Daisy from the a shelter, and they are sisters who have always gotten along. Now, every night for the past week or so, one of the two is growling (rumblestrutting?) and a lot of squeaking ensues. I don't really know what I should do...

If she's not biting, then let them alone. But do check yourself to make absolutely sure that they're both females -- I'm astounded by the number of people who get mis-sexed pigs from pet stores and shelters. If you can't tell, see Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig.

The rumblestrutting is likely because one or the other is in heat. That happens about every two weeks or so, and lasts for a couple of days. It should calm down.

But there are a couple of other things to think about. One, do you have any idea how old they are? Hormonal disturbances can cause that kind of behavior, and would call for a vet visit. Two, how large is your cage? Not having enough room can cause squabbling, sometimes to the point of injury.

My cage is a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft. Plenty of room I'd say... And I will leave 'em alone for a while.

May be because they're in a new environment so they're trying to establish who's boss piggy again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.