Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I Don't Feel Sorry For These People

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
I just opened up Yahoo to check my mail and found this:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/103458/Scammers-Fetch-Online-Puppy-Buyers

Boo-hoo. You bought a dog sight unseen, don't know a thing about it or its parents, and are now upset that you got a sick puppy? Or didn't get one at all? What is wrong with people? And why are we teaching people how to spot a good breeder instead of encouraging them to go to the local animal shelter and give a good home to a healthy dog you can get to know first?

I'm just getting tired of garbage like this. It makes me grouchy.

Calliso

Cavy Slave
You know the tips on spotting a good breeder donlt bother me that much. It is the fact that there was basically no mention *from what I saw* of adopting a puppy, no suggestions to check out your local animal shelter or anything.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
It wouldn't happen if they adopted from an animals shelter in the first place. The article doesn't talk about adopting at all.

guineapigfan9000

Cavy Slave
What? You can buy animals over the Internet now?

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
Yes. It's been going on for as long as the internet has existed.

MissCin

Cavy Slave
That is just wrong. Animals should not be sold over the internet, they are not objects!

Luvthempigs

Cavy Slave
But, do remember, if you try to outlaw sales of pets over the internet, you're also working to outlaw adoptions of pets through internet advertising.

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
Not necessarily. You can always advertise that animals are available but stipulate that the actual purchase is in person. Of course, you could do that with the breeders, too... But anyway- this is the oldest scam out there, I can't believe people are still going for it. People fall for the 'fertile parrot eggs from Nigeria' one, too- which is just ludicrous. I mean, that screams scam. Plus the whole horror that is selling unweaned parrot chicks...

I do wonder, though, if you can buy a puppy over the internet if you live in Rhode Island? Aren't dogs considered wards of the caregiver and not property in that state? Weird legal stuff, there, potentially.