Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I didnt know how to put these Questions

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
alright i have alot of questions to ask it easier than post different forums all the time please make it easy for me to understand as i have a reading disorder

1. some one told me that guinea pigs can change sex they had 2 females they bought from a vet and they had babies 2 years later?
2. some one told me that if i cant find hay that putting a paddle pop stick is good for guinea pigs to chew.
3. i hate my dad cause when i set my guinea pig cage up inside dad keeps putting piggies outside in a cage he made?

1) No, guinea pigs cannot change sex. Someone heard wrong or misunderstood.

2) THEY MUST HAVE HAY. No ifs, and or buts. A paddle stick isn't good for them anyway. They need the long fiber in the hay to keep their digestion flowing smoothly.

3) They need to be inside. Too many things outside that can harm them: the weather, other animals, airbornes illnesses.

Absolutely pigs cannot change sex. Don't believe everything anyone tells you, especially if it doesn't make any sense.

No mammals can change gender that I know of. There are some lower class of animals -- sea horses, earthworms, etc. -- that can either change, or are born with both male and female reproductive systems. Those animals are called sequential hermaphrodites.

You MUST find hay for your guinea pig. Hay is what keeps the back teeth ground down and working properly, and also keeps the pig's gut moving. If you don't have hay, you're going to have a sick pig and/or expensive pig dental bills.

Tell your dad that pigs cannot live in temperatures above 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees celsius), and that changes in temperatures can make them ill. They're susceptible to insects, snakes, and other predators outside. They're also prey animals, which means that they're food to many other animals, so they hide their illnesses. If you're not seeing them and handling them often, you may miss signs of illness that can result in a very sick or dead pig. Having them indoors with you is much better.

Maybe your dad doesn't like the smell of the cage? Are you keeping it clean? And is it large enough for two pigs? The smaller the cage the more often it has to be cleaned.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.