Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece I can't shovel the Aspen any longer..need non sewing fleece advice.

CMDixon7

Cavy Slave
OK I am shoveling wood chips at least once a day and it is getting nuts. I went one day of no cleaning and it irks me how much poop they have in there. Especially we are all lovign and kissing them and the kids handling them..err. I need to switch to fleece so I can pick things up easier and more often. So here is what I need:
1. WHat do you all use for layers?
2. do many of you use a waterproof bottom layer?
3. How often do you change it all?
How diffivult do you find to lift the whole cube system up and off? 2x4 right now with a loft is what I have
4. Has anyoen had luck wihtout sewing it, just laying it over the sides and replacing the cubes basically. or does anyoen have advice for a fix wihtout sewing to avoid the poo going all under the fleece etc.
Thank you so much for any adivce/suggestions!

1: I started with 2 layers of towels and 1 layer of Fleece. Now I have liners with Fleece, U-Haul pad, and Fleece. You can use just 2 layers of towels and Fleece if you wish, though liners are easier and dry faster depending on what you make them with.

2: There wouldn't be much need for a waterproof bottom layer....... The point is to have the Fleece wick away the moisture to the bottom layers which are usually meant to be absorbent. I know people have used them, but I don't see much point to having it be waterproof if the point is to have it soak up the pee or wick it away. If you make liners with U-Haul pad, though, you can use whatever you want for the bottom as it needs to be wrapped in an envelope as not to shred in the washer machine.

3: Depends on the amount of Pigs, but for sure once EVERY WEEK. I do mine every Friday and they don't smell by the next Friday.

Erm....... You do NOT have to lift the Cubes up. Just lift the bedding and scrub the Coroplast.

4: As I said, I used to just lay it in the Coroplast tray and call it good, but unfortunately, I didn't like all the bunching. SO, I made Liners. Yes, of course you can just lay them in the tray and it works great. Also, you don't need the Fleece to go up the sides. That is just a certain type of liner. You don't have to have sides going over the Coroplast walls, but it is an added bonus that makes it look great. I don't have mine going over the walls. ALSO: Don't expect to see no poops under the Fleece. It is going to happen, and all you have to do is sweep them out of the Coroplast tray. Also, you will have WAY less poops under the Coroplast if you are spot sweeping a few times a day. You MUST clean every day, sometimes twice a day. I just got into that schedule rock-solid this week after a few weeks of feeling overwhelmed by the end of the week.

Good luck in your ventures!

:D

I currently use towels under my fleece, but I'm slowly switching over to cage liners. You can find liners on Etsy, piggiebedspreads,etc.

With either I also need extra protection in some areas. I use tidy mats, which are the same thing as cage liners except small squares. I put these under hiding spots and near the hay. That's where pigs pee the most.I just switch them out every few days or whenever I feel they've had enough use. Some people just use extra towels under the fleece in those areas. I prefer tidy mats, though.

I'm not worried about having a waterproof layer. I don't mind spraying the coroplast with vinegar at each cleaning. I would probably still do that with a waterproof layer anyways.

The cubes are easy to lift off if you have help. You may not need to do it anyways. I only do that right now because I tuck my fleece underneath the tray.

I change my fleece every week, the tidy mats more often. I have to sweep hay off the floor and poop a few times a day.I have a cage with no sides in with my new pigs right now and I haven't had an issue with poo getting underneath it.

Thank you for the responces. I just wanted to clear somethings up in reference to some posts.
I never intended to not clean the cage multiple times a day. I have always dealt with shavings, be it paper or wood and the fleece concept is new to me in finding these boards and more recent piggie research. I look to changing to fleece more as a "clean as I go" concept -being able to pick poo as I see it throughout the day as compared to having to "clean it"-(get out scoop, bags, having to go to shed to get pail of shavings, take garbage bags outside etc. ) 2x a day as I currently do

I have searched and honestly what I saw was primarily about 1.sewing 2. having it go over coroplast. That is why I inquired about the difficulty of lifting, it seems like no small feat for one individual, (another reason besides not sewing to not have it go over the sides :) )

I am going to go to just some fleece and towels for now and see how the piggers adapt :) maybe if it is bad in their one "favorite" spot I will experiment with a wee wee pad under the towels and fleece if needs be:)

That is why I inquired about the difficulty of lifting, it seems like no small feat for one individual, (another reason besides not sewing to not have it go over the sides :) )

I am going to go to just some fleece and towels for now and see how the piggers adapt :) maybe if it is bad in their one "favorite" spot I will experiment with a wee wee pad under the towels and fleece if needs be:)

As far as lifting goes - are you talking about removing the loft area? I have a 2x3 cage stacked on top of a 2x4 cage and I can lift the entire top part off by myself if need be, putting it back on by myself is the hard part but that's only because there's so many places for it to connect, and the connectors tend to pop off if I don't put them on in the right order.

As long as your piggies don't try to burrow in the fleece you shouldn't need to sew the liners. My little girl was digging like crazy to get under the fleece I put down when it was only tucked in around the towels so I had to sew a new one... my little boy doesn't dig at them though so it's a hit or miss kinda thing.

Good luck! I hope it goes well...

Personally I was using one layer of fleece with one layer of uhaul pad underneath with the fleece just folded under the pad. I have a 2x3 with a 1x2 loft, and what I did to get into the cage was I made a little area where my grids can swing open, and I can reach right in to pick up or put down the fleece,etc. After about 3 weeks of doing the one layer of fleece and one layer of uhaul, I purchased a liner on etsy. I like that waaay better. It makes it easier to clean up and such. I actually spent this past weekend sewing my own liners of the fleece/uhaul pad combo and am using it right now and I love it!

Before I put my fleece in the wash, I take it outside and brush it with one of those rubber fur be gone brushes. It doesn't get everything off, but it does get quite a bit of the hair and hay off.

I also bought a tiny trash can that has a lid and placed it right next to the cage so that when I'm tidying up I can just step on the little paddle to open the lid and drop all the poop into the trash can no problem. That cuts down on the odor a lot too, since it has a lid.

I hope that answers some of the questions you had!

I have a 2x3 with a 1x2 loft, and what I did to get into the cage was I made a little area where my grids can swing open, and I can reach right in to pick up or put down the fleece,etc.

How did you get the grids to swing open? Can you post pics or a diagram? I need something like that!!

How did you get the grids to swing open? Can you post pics or a diagram? I need something like that!!

I'm currently at work (woohoo the wonderful world of working over nights!), so I can't take a picture of my cage... But if you check out the photo gallery here: Doors - Guinea Pig Cage Photos there are plenty of ideas for ways to make doors!

My cage is just zip tied, so all I did was clip one of the zip ties and that allows the two grids that are next to where I clipped it to swing open. I even cut my coroplast so that I can open the doors, and lay down the coroplast and my boys can leave the cage if they'd like. I usually let them free roam my room when I am home. Then when I want to close it all back up, I just use a few binder clips, and it's all securely put together.

Hope that helps!

Ok, for lifting I was talking about the whole thing., It is pretty snug inside of the coroplast so in slipping it over the side walls, if that was what I was attempting instead of just lying it in. my cage is all tie wrapped so I have undone the loft part so I can get into the side they love the most to hang and do all their business. I just folded the towels over underneath and it should be good. The girls were not happy with my rearranging things while cleaning it all out. omgoodness aspen dust :\ Fleece forest is installed...they are avoiding it it seems...only my pigs...:) Turns out the wee pad was not a good idea, even though I thought I had the sides secured over the edge they "redecorated" for me and all the pee went under the plastic of the pad, so now not only does my doggie pee just on the edge of the pads so everything gets wicked under to make a sopping mess the piggers learned that trick too... partners in crime I tell you :)))) It was over kill anyways, I think just the towels or material pads will do just fine.
[GuineaPigCages.com] I can't shovel the Aspen any longer..need non sewing fleece advice.There is actually a little nosey sticking out!
Not a great pick since they are still covered to sleep but under the towel is the 1/2 loft. Using a shelving grid the cube is split to make a hidey home without the "extra" height of using a full cube for a loft. More sturdy to move now:)[GuineaPigCages.com] I can't shovel the Aspen any longer..need non sewing fleece advice.

and on a side note, they have been so super noisy and nutso ever since the fleece, makes me think they weren't all that jazzed up about the aspen, and no sneezing from SJ either! woo hoo
[GuineaPigCages.com] I can't shovel the Aspen any longer..need non sewing fleece advice.This photo has nothing to do with the fleece but I just love it, the two displaced girls, not wanted and unwell, now best friends and joys of my family I just don't know how we did without them:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.