Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I can't believe I found it!

Marlania

Cavy Slave
I live in a small town (not by choice), and I have a hard time finding quality products for my animals. Yesterday, I was wandering through our local feed store, and much to my surprise, they had Oxbow hay...Timothy and oat. For months, I've asked them to order hay, and they kept bringing in huge bales of alfalfa, which does me no good. Now, they've finally ordered hay I can use, although the bags are probably the size of my foot. But at least its a start. I just had to share this, since I've been hunting for quality products since I moved here.

Whoo hoo!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
That's great! I wish a place near me sold Oxbow hay! Do they carry the feed to?

Marlania

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:
That's great! I wish a place near me sold Oxbow hay! Do they carry the feed to?

Nope. I'm sure they won't, either. Knowing my luck, they probably accidentally ordered the hay, and I'll never see it again. They did carry feed, but I can't remember which one it was. I just know it wasn't Oxbow, and it was in a tiny bag. Hopefully they will get larger bags because my pigs could eat up and spread around this amount around in less than two days, and at this place's markup, it can get expensive pretty quick. I'll have to talk to them about ordering larger bags so I can at least get a more bang for my buck, especially since I like to stay stocked up on pet food and supplies.

I just pulled hay out of the new bag, and it feels so fresh! I don't think the pigs have any complaints, either.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I'm sure they will love it!

Marlania

Cavy Slave
They surely seem to.

Can I substitute oat for timothy every so often without compromising their health?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Yup, that should be fine. But mix it in at first.

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Here is a website with a really good description of different hays and grasses. The information if for rabbits, but some of it should still apply to guinea pigs. I know that bunnies have similar issues with too much calcium and needing lots of fiber.

(broken link removed)

It looks like oat and timothy are a nice mix.

Congrats on finding a local source. Besides oxbow, here's another quality internet source of guinea pig necessities. Maybe the shipping here will be easier on you.
(broken link removed)

Good Luck!

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
It is great to offer variety in pigs hay. I mix in a handfull of alfalfa once a week. Currently I am mixing two types of hay to get the new pig used to it.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Luckily none of my animals are picky eaters, so food changes never seem to be an issue. The pigs haven't gotten out of the hay rack since I put the new hay in hours ago. I think I'll buy a lot more oat to mix in from now on.

Baubler

Cavy Slave
Hi, there. I was having a hard time getting supplies for my cavy, too. Then I went on e-bay and found two really great sellers who have great Timothy hay and really good pellets.

Check out seller fmrdave and ecosandy.

I've ordered a lot of things through various "online" suppliers, too, as it is difficult for me to find time to drive around and sit in traffic and then hope the store has what I need.

Let me know if you need more resources and I'll see if I can help.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Fmrdave looks like he has a nice supply of hay, but ecosandy only has a few bags of feed right now. However, if you're looking for dvds, that's your seller! I'll keep them in mind. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.