Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

I brought my pigs to the Vet today...they have sinus infections

shypaw

Cavy Slave
I noticed yesterday that two of my girls Peaches & Zsa Zsa had what looked like runny noses, and that Peaches was acting a bit withdrawn from the other pigs. So I watched them all closely during last nights feeding, but they all ate the lettuse, parsley and the little bit or oranges I gave them.

I thought that them eating was a great sign, but decided to play it safe and bring these two to the Vet this morning. She she said that they definitly had sinus infections, and that more then likly they would all have them. So I have enough meds (Chloramphicol Palmitae susp) for the 5 of them, even though my other 3 girls (Carlita, Hershey and Fifi) seem fine now.

Wish me luck on treating 5 young pigs, twice a day with a plastic syringe, lol. It's not going to be pretty! I just hope that I can clear this up quickly.

-E.J. (Shypaw)

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
We (as in me and the piggers) wish your good luck and a fast recovery! Keep us updated!!

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Just for the record, pigs don't get sinus infections, they get URI's (Upper Respiratory Infections). I do hope your girls get better soon.

shypaw

Cavy Slave
Thank you AnimalHouse36. I gave all the girls the first dose today, so they have 6 more days to go. It went much better then I expected it to, with only one of the pigs really putting up a fuss. She just didn't want anything to do with the syringe and it spilled all over my hand instead. The other 4 were really good nibbled it down.

Ly - I apologize for adding my name. I did read over the rules (there were many) but I don't recall seeing that one. Concerning the private "wheek" you sent me, neither of the links worked that were supposed to bring me to the rules. Both links said to contact an admin, or mod or something like that. Just thought you should know for future reprimands.

Anyhow, I'll go back to just reading posts. Thanks.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I will alert the site owner CavySpirit and let her know the links in the impaction notices aren't working. She will get them fixed. Please if you have any further issues about impactions, contact me or another mod via private message.

Everyone who uses this site should read our rules. You can find the rules in an info thread at the top of the About Guinea Pigs forum and in the Policies and Guidelines forum.

Sweet Pea

Cavy Slave
I just got some chlor-palm for my pigs today it sure smells like marshmellow how does it work? One piggie has pneumonia the other not yet but they are both on it cause my little holly died from it.

shypaw

Cavy Slave
I really don't know how well it works yet. My girls have only been on it a day, but I'll keep you informed on the progress, ok? Maybe one of the more experienced folks here can answer your question for both of us? I agree, it even looks a bit like marshmallow, only much more watery.
I'm so sorry that you lost one of your piggy's. I hope your others pigs can recover quickly too.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Chloramphenicol is a very strong antibiotic. Most infections will be blasted to bits by it. Unfortunately, some pigs are intolerant of it, so I would recommend giving probiotics (acidophilus from a drugstore is good, but definitely not yogurt) an hour or two after every dose. If any of your pigs start to have diarrhea, or are lethargic, or stop eating, you should stop the chlor and get a different antibiotic from the vet.

Sweet Pea

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info I'll watch closesely....My vet said it's a medicine that can take longer to get piggie better but will do the trick....they are on .5ml 2 times a day.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
What's the concentration on the bottle? It should say something like 50mg/ml (that is not necessarily the concentration, but just a random number).

shypaw

Cavy Slave
I wanted to give a brief update on my girls. All 5 are doing very well, although they are still on the meds for a few more days. Runny noses have all dried up and the sneezes have almost completely stopped. One girl still sneezes a bit, not much compared to what she was doing.

I now know why they call them pigs...these girls never stop eating! I call them my little hungry hungry hippos.

Good luck with yours Sweet Pea.

DIGGYDI

Cavy Slave
We (as in me and the piggers) wish your good luck and a fast recovery! Keep us updated!!
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your sick piggies. My boys just finished their antibiotic therapy. So far so good. For your piggies, I'm hoping for full recovery.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.