Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores I bought a piggy yesterday..

Honour

Cavy Slave
I know I'm about to get a lot of angry messages, but I didn't know what to do and I felt so sorry for her..
I went to a pet shop intending to buy some toys for my guinea pig I was going to get the following week, and when we went up the stairs there was a single guinea pig in a tiny cage. The pet shop had stopped selling guinea pigs and they were going to give her in to a shelter because apparently everyone is just buying them online off breeders now. We asked to look at her because I couldn't believe they had a guinea pig in such a small cage.. I wanted to see how big she was. She was quite big and very cute.. they were feeding her that rubbish quality hamster food! She was so cute and I couldn't resist buying her, she was £15 because they wanted rid of her because they were no longer stocking guinea pigs as I said. I have her in a store bought cage, but of course I'm going to get a c&c cage as soon as I can! I'm adopting a guinea pig tomorrow, the same age and gender. (oh, I took her to the vet and she's healthy.) What I don't understand is the actual problem with store bought piggies.. my two uncles have two guinea pigs. and they're fine, they fight a lot though. Also, what do you think of buying guinea pigs off people in the local paper etc whos piggies have had babies, but aren't breeders?

I understand how hard it can be to resist petstore piggies. They look so sad and you just want to take them home and give them a good life. This is why it's best to avoid petshops.

The problem isn't with the pigs, it's where the pigs come from and how they are cared for at petshops. Petshops usually get their pigs from backyard breeders who keep their pigs in horrible conditions, and the sows are often bred back to back. Then at most petstores, they are cared for horribly, with bad food, no medical care, small cages with too many pigs crammed inside, etc. When you buy from a petshop, the money adds fuel to the fire. It allows breeders to keep breeding and stores to keep selling, and the cycle continues. Use the search bar on this site and you will get a bunch more info about this topic.

Accidental litters are a great option as long as they actually are accidental litters. Also, ads online and in papers are also a great place to find piggies that need new homes. I found both of my piggies online from people needing to rehome them.

First off, I probably would have done the same thing if I were in your position. The few times I do go to pet stores, I completly avoid the guinea pigs because it's so sad to see them crammed into those tiny fish tanks. The issue with buying pigs from pet stores is that you are supporting the breeders that supply the pigs to the stores. For every store bought pig, at least 2 more are on their way to the store. They are simply inventory. Pet store employees, typically, aren't given good information on the proper way to care for the pigs (such as cage size, food, treats, etc) because they want to sell you a tiny cage, crap food, and terrible treats. Store bought pigs tend to have health issues because of the unsanitary conditions they are forced to live in. They are also, oftentimes, missexed leading to MORE guinea pigs when someone buys a "female" friend for their female pig at home. If you give someone money for a rehoming fee, they are usually looking for someone to take an unwanted pig. They may or may not be breeders. They light just be people looking for a responsible for a pet they can no longer take care of.
With that said, congrats on your new pig and the one you will be adopting tomorrow. I hope both are healthy and happy!

I don't think that it would be right for people to send you angry messages. It can be easy to fall under the spell of a pet store piggy. You think, "OH! I must save it from this torture!" (This is pretty much what all animals in pet stores go through when compared to a loving home)

Completely healthy and well cared for piggies from pet shops are very rare. I mean, seriously rare. While it might live for a few years, it still wouldn't be the best choice. Inbreeding in pet shop animals is quite common, which can lead to many fatal health problems and a premature death.

Another thing to take into account is the overpopulation problem. There are too many guinea pigs and not enough homes. There are many rescues with healthy, socialized pigs. My local rescue vet checks every single guinea pig (as rescues should), and always sends a healthy cavy to a caring home. You really just don't know what you're getting with a pet-shop pig; they often come with mites or other problems like URIs or poor socialization.

When there are so many guinea pigs that need loving homes at rescues, there simply is no need (and no reason) to buy one from a pet shop. By buying at a pet shop, you are contributing to the overpopulation problem, and telling that establishment that you are fine with their lousy animal care. You are supporting the inbreeding, and unhealthy pigs.

Your heart was in the right place by feeling compassion for your guinea pig, but if you wanted a pig then you probably should have tried to find one at a rescue. I'm not mad at you, but I would strongly encourage you NOT to get a pet store pig again. It is just a bad idea.

Congrats and I want to thank you for rescuing both piggies no matter the situation. You saved her life.

Also Honour, I didn't mean to offend you in any way. Though I am a cavy novice, I feel strongly about this subject and may have been a bit rude. Please forgive me if I have offended you; I have a bad habit of letting my feeling (and my mouth) get away from me. I am very glad that you have adopted another cavy; that is a very good thing. And if you feel that I bashed you, I didn't mean to. So please don't take it wrongly, and have a wonderful evening with your guinea pigs.

I was expecting a load of angry messages for doing the wrong thing and supporting a bad thing, but I thought seeing as they weren't stocking them any more it wouldn't be just as bad.. I love her to bits but I'll never go near the pets in a pet store again. It's way too tempting!

if they were going to take it to a shelter anyway then it shouldnt matter. its good of you to rescue her.

if they were going to take it to a shelter anyway then it shouldnt matter. its good of you to rescue her.

This is kind of my take on it. Who knows what kind of shelter they were going to send her to? I think I'd rather someone like you scoop her up from the petshop and give her a great home instead of seeing her sent off to a kill shelter where she might not have been rescued in time.

I could have told you the problem with store-bought piggies theroretically up until yesterday, and now I can tell you from the heart. My store-bought piggy, Mufasa, died two weeks and one day after purchase of a URI that I'm sure he had when I bought him. At least one of the other piggies in the store was very lethargic, so goodness only knows how many more died. Granted, not all pet store pigs are ticking timebombs of illness, but I'll never play Russian roulette with my emotions again. I didn't know about adoption at the time, but I do now, and that's what I'm going to do.

It sounds like your circumstance was different that the standard "buy pig-mill piggies from the store." I'm glad you got her as it sounds like she's going to have an excellent home.

If you're ever faced with a situation like that again, I'd suggest you offer them a check payable to the shelter/rescue of your choice for the amount they are asking. That way you know that they're sincere about considering giving it up to a shelter/rescue, you're supporting a shelter/rescue and not a pet store while rescuing an animal in need .

I really dont see why anyone would have a problem with her buying this guinea pig. Theyre not stocking them anymore! well done you and congratulations on your new pig :)

I really dont see why anyone would have a problem with her buying this guinea pig. Theyre not stocking them anymore! well done you and congratulations on your new pig :)

That's exactly what i think. You said you got her chechek out as well, and she is fine. So I wish you both a good time :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.