Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I am positively fuming!

Cherish

Cavy Slave
Firstly, I apologise if this is the wrong forum; as far as I could tell, this forum seemed the most appropriate, but please correct me if this thread is misplaced.

Today I went into a pet shop that I have never been inside before, to buy a replacement for a leaky waterbottle.
They had live animals for sale. However, the conditions the guinea pigs were kept in was truly disgusting.
The enclosure was filthy, and much too small for the number of animals it contained. It contained guinea pigs, rabbits and, most shockingly birds on perches just above them! The ground and fur of the guinea pigs and rabbits were all spattered with bird droppings.
It was revolting.

Of course, I complained to the owner.
He simply told me that the animals were all safe, as the birds were not birds of prey (Budgies don't eat guinea pigs? No kidding!) and "don't bother them." :headache:

Never in my life have I wanted to buy guinea pigs from a pet shop so much.
It was so difficult to walk out of there and leave them, and to be completely honest, I still feel bad about leaving the poor little things.
But if I suppose that if I'd have bought them, the pet shop would have simply replaced them with more unfortunate animals.
I'm afraid I often find it very difficult to see the big picture when it comes to this kind of thing; I see the suffering of the individual animal, and not the overall cause.

I reported the pet shop to the RSPCA when I got home, and they said they would send someone over to check the place out.
How bad does a pet shop have to be before it is closed down?
I know that they can get away with some pretty despicable things before the authorities will take action, is there anything else I can do?

pig-in-paradise

Cavy Slave
I think you did the right thing several times today: first you walked away without buying the guinea pigs in the store (I know that can be difficult to do) and then you reported the store to the RSPCA.

The only other thing that I can think of, if nothing comes of the RSPCA investigation, is going to the local newspaper. If you can find friends to support you, even better.

Good luck! Let us know how things develop.

BTW: I seem to recall reading in a thread from the UK that pet shops only get a license for a year? I'll go look for that.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Good girl! If you would have purchased any of the pigs or any other animals, you would have condoned what the petstore was doing. By not doing that you are taking a stance against the petstore. I know it hurts going in and seeing animals in bad conditions but there is only so much you can do. Calling the RSPCA was a wise and smart move. Now you can only hope that the RSPCA will do something about it.

pig-in-paradise

Cavy Slave
Ah, I found it:

(broken link removed)

maybe the article can give you some ideas.

QuackXP

Cavy Slave
Vote with your wallet to. Tell the manager that you will not be spending your money there and you will ask your friends, family, and assoicates not to either. If this is a chain I would also request the name of the District Manager and send a letter to them and to the HQ of the company.

Cherish

Cavy Slave
Ah, I found it:

(broken link removed)

maybe the article can give you some ideas.

Thanks!
I just had a read through that article. Surely if dead fish and unfed animals is enough to get a pet shop in trouble, these kind of living conditions must be, too?

And QuackXP- As far as I'm aware, it is a privately owned pet shop. The person I complained to today claimed to be the owner, and the shop was very small.
I didn't buy the water bottle from there, of course... although I'm not sure what difference 87p would make!
But a lot of my friends do have pets, and I'll ask them not to shop there, more for the principle of the thing than anything.

I'll definately keep a check on what happens with this pet shop, as it's really bothered me.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
If anyone needs an example, THIS is the kind of post that deserves congratulations. Take note.

And I know it can be really hard to walk out and leave them there. I've struggled with that, too. I'm too much of a bleeding heart to see the "big picture." I have to force myself out of those situations. It takes lots of rational thinking and self control. And not only did you not support the store, you reported it.

Good job to you, honey! :)

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Cherish, you did the right thing by contacting the RSPCA. Well done. Hopefully they will have the power to do something.

In the mean time I would suggest going to the local newspaper in your area. Also boycot the store, tell your friends and family. If you use online networks like Facebook make a group detailing the poor conditions the animals are kept in at this store.

pig-in-paradise

Cavy Slave
Oh, one more thing: take pictures. A lot of people respond better and are more likely to support you when you show them the conditions with photographs. Bird poop on the guinea pigs and bunnies will get them.

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Be careful if you take photos, don't get yourself in a dangerous postion with the owner. Mobile phone cameras are a good way of taking photos without being detected.

pig-in-paradise

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately that's true, since this is on private property there might be a problem.

You could, however, have a friend go into the store (since they already know you) and act all googoo-gaga over a bunny and ask if they can take a pic to show their friends. If the owner lets them you're good to go since nobody is selling the pics and you wouldn't need a property release (which is what you'd need in the US)

Cherish

Cavy Slave
Thankyou very much for your support and ideas, everyone!

I'll see how this goes with the RSPCA, and I also have a friend who is a journalist for the local newspaper, so I'm sure I could get this one in the paper, if it came to it.

RayFay

Cavy Slave
Good for you!! I'm glad you didn't buy the piggies or bunnies! And well done for complaining to the owner and calling the RSPCA! :D

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Good job!!

The journalist friend is a good idea (plus they usually love ideas that could tug on someone's heartstrings).

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I would have been so angry to see the poor bunnies and piggies covered in bird droppings.>( When I was growing up we always had birds and I hated when they pooped on my shoulder or clothing, it's so messy, I couldn't imagine being a little animal and it just raining down on you and you can't even clean it off all the way.:sick: Poor little babies. Thanks for not buying them. I know it must have been very hard, I would have been tempted as well.

JanJam

Cavy Slave
just a thought - i checked out our local council website on pet shop licences and found this bit:

"
Power of Entry
Local Authorities, veterinary surgeons or practitioners authorised in writing by the Local Authority for this purpose, may, upon producing his authority if required, inspect a licensed pet shop and any animals there at all reasonable times. Persons wilfully obstructing authorised officers are subject on conviction to a maximum fine of level two."

Just wondering if it might be worthwhile contacting the local council as well?

And a note on the RSPCA - yes they will investigate but they might not get back to you. I had to report a dog being mistreated (left alone for more than 4 hours at a time, not having daily walks, overgrown claws, no training) a few years ago. I didn't hear back from them but found out through a friend of the owner the dog had been rehomed.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Good for you!

I am so glad that you brought another petstore to the SPCA's attention.

Those animals were kept in what sounds like abusive conditions. Not only is it cruel to the animals, but to the people who actually buy them. The animals can come with diseases but in the end, it is not fair to anyone!!!

You did a great thing! Give yourself a pat on the back!!!

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
Is it allowed for the name of the store to be posted here? If not, please can you pm it to me Cherish. I live in the Northwest too so will try to get pics and complain if its nearby.

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
Great job! Maybe you can post the address to the pet store so that everyone can write letters to them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.