Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Husband vs. Pigs

Blog entry from old forum

Heady

Cavy Slave
Problem. Big problem. Husband hates (HATES) the pigs. He didn't at first...at least he didn't tell me or act like it. Barney was his favorite but he told me a few days ago that he can't stand them, especially Barney. Every time Barney wheeks, Jer will leave the room.

He won't feed them, show them any sort of attention, won't watch them when I have to clean their cage.

It's ridiculous. A lot of things have changed within the past 2 months and I think that might have something to do with it...actually, I think it has a lot to do with it, but I don't know what to do.

He has allergies, so I've changed hays and everything so he could interact with Barney, especially, but him suddenly telling me that he hates them has caused a big problem.

I have to go, but if anyone has any ideas on what you would do, please tell me.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Simple, divorce. Maybe not that extreme but the piggies are yours and if he was cool with you getting them as a family pet to begin with then that's his problem.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I really think it's up to you what to do. It would be a personal decision. I have an obbsesion with animals, so I would probably keep the pigs. And I would never be able to forgive myself if I didn't.

But, it's really up to you.

Heady

Cavy Slave
(I forgot about the blog!)

Peggsu, that's why I was so upset to begin with...thinking this whole time that he was fine with it when he never really was...grrrrr!

After getting some opinions on here through a thread and also speaking with Jer last night, I am keeping them. It was (and still is) a confusing situation, and even the overall situation isn't reason for divorce, but I think he realized the impact of what he said (the words he chose to use). I'm sure once he settles into how things will be now, he'll get over himself. He needs time to adjust.

I didn't know what the right thing to do was and I worried that the pigs, especially Barney, were going to be affected by his complete lack of attention. Thankfully I was told that they are resilient when it comes to that, so I'm keeping them. :)

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
It's great you are keeping them!!

I'm glad everything is working out for you(and your pigs), things will get better with time :eek:ptomist:.

Heady

Cavy Slave
Thanks :) I'm glad too. I hate being a "nagging wife" so when I DO complain about something, it's a serious complaint. After he said what he did about the pigs and I became angry, I think he may have popped on here because he's been...different. He's acting like he did when I first got them...a lot more interaction. I don't know if it's to shut me up or not. He said it's not, it's just that he was reminded of how cute they are and how sweet they are.

I feel bad because I'm wary, but time will tell!

Thanks for your optimism!