Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hurricane Prep

shortlilcutie

Cavy Slave
I was making a list of things I'm going to need for this years hurricane season in Central Florida. I want to make sure that I'm covered and all of my pets are also taken care of. So any ideas on foods that I can feed my pig that do not have to be refridgerated (or watered)? It's possible that we could be without water or electricity for over 2 weeks...so I need to start thinking about these things. I also have a 35 gallon turtle tank and 2 hamster cages. Does anyone know if there is some kind of thing to keep filters going if electricity goes out? Thanks in advance guys!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
If all you have in the turtle tank are turtles then don't worry about your filters going out. Turtles are very hardy and will be fine if their water gets dirty...even for 2 weeks. If you have enough water you can always change it if necessary.

There isn't much you will be able to do along the lines of fresh veggies. Make sure you have plenty of hay, pellets and vit C suppliment. If you can't get them veggies then at least you will have the suppliment to give them.

Keep all the extra supplies in a water tight rubbermaid tub. This will keep all of the food fresh in case of flood or water leak and will also be easy to grab quickly if you need to evacuate. Make sure you have extra bottled water for your pets.

Make or buy a sign for near your front door to alert emergency personal what kind of pets are in the house and where they are located if in case you get seperated. Most importantly if you evacuate take your pets with you. They cannot survive alone. Make certain you have sturdy carriers and keep them near the cages until the season is past. You do not want to be searching for them when you need them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.