Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hurricane Dennis

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Is anyone else in the path of Hurricane Dennis? I'm hoping for the best, but just incase, I'm getting everything in order to bring the animals with me. Incase anyone knows folks heading north from the Mississippi gulf coast, I do have a list of animal boarding facilities for evacuees to contact in the north-central portion of the state. I can't imagine having my animals not with me, but these are special circumstances, and sometimes animals have to be boarded so evacuees can stay in a shelter.

For anyone else in the path of this storm, stay safe and be prepared.

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
I hope you and your animals are ok. The rest of hurricane Cindy hit us up here in New England and it has been raining for almost a whole week, and I just can't stand it. It must be awful having a strong hurricane hit. Goodluck!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Marlania
It looks like we're getting lucky on this one. I'm in New Orleans and the track is going east of us now. For a few days it looked like it was coming right for us. I'm staying home for it. Even if it hits I was planning on staying. We evacuated for Ivan last year and it took me 10 hours to travel 100 miles (a trip that normally takes me ~1.5 hours)

Friends of mine are right on the beach in Bay St. Louis. They are leaving today. I invited them here but they want to go further inland.

Stay safe, hope your evacuation is smooth and easy.

Last edited:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Eventrocker33 said:
The rest of hurricane Cindy hit us up here in New England and it has been raining for almost a whole week, and I just can't stand it.
Cindy hit me head on. She was loads of fun. Luckily my power was only out for about 4-5 hours. My friend's power only just came back on today.

Cindy was stronger then people thought. Trees are down everywhere. My neighbor got his gutters torn off. My bedroom window got broken. I just finished replacing it 10 minutes ago. Tomorrow I get to do the sealing and finishing work to it (yay)

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Well, I think us folks in SW Florida are spared on this one. Good luck and stay safe!

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Voodoo, how far inland are your friends heading? I've heard that hotels in Jackson are pretty booked, and they're starting to fill up in this area and Tupelo as well.

My parents usually don't evacuate. They're in upper Lafourche parish, but the area is lined with levees, so it's always an issue of if the levees will remain sturdy.

I can imagine how much time it takes to get out of New Orleans, even with both sides of interstates open. When it snowed for Christmas, we tried getting home the day after, but the elevated portion of I-55 was still closed. So we made our way from Thibodaux to Baton Rouge until we finally hit I-55. It added three hours to our trip, which doesn't compare to 10 hours, but it certainly was frustrating.

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I think I will stick with the occasional earthquake here in southern California over the hurricanes on your side Voodoo :)

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
zakfoxmom said:
Ok, so I think I will stick with the occasional earthquake here in southern California over the hurricanes on your side Voodoo :)
LOL...at least we get warnings before they hit. They can usually even tell how bad they will be. You can keep your earthquakes. I'll deal with the hurricanes.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Marlania said:
Voodoo, how far inland are your friends heading? I've heard that hotels in Jackson are pretty booked, and they're starting to fill up in this area and Tupelo as well.
I have no idea. They usually make reservations at a hotel in advance though. I still think they should come to my house. They are being total "Nancy's" about the whole thing.

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
Ok, you got me on the warning thing. It is sort of freaky to be in an office building downtown and it just starts swaying. However, I am not really all that fond of water so I think I would freak in a hurricane. Hope all is well. Stay safe :)

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
And another thing.....when are they going to have a Hurricane Dawn??? I have been waiting years for it. Whenever I read about a hurricane I get bummed because they never name it Dawn.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
zakfoxmom said:
And another thing.....when are they going to have a Hurricane Dawn??? I have been waiting years for it. Whenever I read about a hurricane I get bummed because they never name it Dawn.
They have a pre-made list of names. Every year they get out the list and start naming. They alternate boy/girl names. Here is the list of names through 2008. (broken link removed) Sorry but your name isn't on the lists yet...I betcha when Hurricane Dawn comes around I'll be running for my life. She's bound to be nasty :)

Zeander

Cavy Slave
For '02 and '08... hurricane Teddy? Now come on. That's a lousy name, it sounds too cute!

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
Well, the meteorologist in me would love to be down there along the gulf coast to experience a hurricane (while eating some gumbo or fresh seafood). However, the mom and homeowner in me says "no way!" So I guess I'll stay up here with our occasional winter high temps of -30 and 1'-2' snowfalls. :)

In all seriousness, I hope Hurricane Dennis winds down a ton before it hits the gulf coastline. Good luck ya'll!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I am happy where I am at. I am in pgh smack dab in the middle. I would rather deal with huricanes and tornados not earthquakes.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I LOVE where I'm at.. We hardly ever get any severe things happening.. But its said that we might get an earthquake this year, or a severe one before.. (2015?) Something along those lines..

Teria

Cavy Slave
Ok, so we never have any hurricanes or tornados here, and I'd be scared crazy if I ever got caught in one cause I'd have no idea what to do. How do you cope with hurricanes?? What do you do with your pets? Catch them all, toss them into the car and get out of there, no matter where to?

I'm quite glad I'm living in Europe. Our last earthquake happened some eight years ago or so, and most people didn't even wake up for it.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
I could never live in Germany, but it's because of the food. My husband and I would gain at least 300 pounds the first year we spent there! :)

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Teria said:
How do you cope with hurricanes?? What do you do with your pets? Catch them all, toss them into the car and get out of there, no matter where to?
Last year for hurricane Ivan that is pretty much exactly what I did. I ended up spending that first night in a Days Inn Banquet Room sleeping on the floor. Most people (and in the future I will also) make reservations in advance or have relatives further inland to go to.

A lot or people board up the windows of their houses so that debris doesn't smash them and cause even more damage.

Yup, hurricanes are nasty but the good news is you get enough of a warning to get out of the way if you want.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Yep, you get warnings way in advance. In fact, most news channels have updates throughout the day, in addition to longer weather broadcasts during regular newscasts. Usually, once the storm even looks like it could threaten where you live, you head to the store and stock up on typical storm items (although you should do this way ahead of time), board up windows, pick up things that could easily fly off from your yard, etc. If you're not riding out the storm at home and are heading out, it pays to have plans made in advance. State police open up both sides of interstates so traffic can flow in one direction.

Re: pets

I have everything they could need while we're gone, just incase we do have to leave. Carriers and crates are easily accessible, and sometimes I put stuff in the car just to make it easier to leave. In the rescue group I was in back home, we had to move the dogs at our kennel to individual homes that way all the dogs have a safer place to be with a human personally responsible for them.

It all sounds like a pain, but once you get used to it, you just kind of go through the motions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.